Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Turned vs Raw Edge Applique >

Turned vs Raw Edge Applique

Turned vs Raw Edge Applique

Old 10-12-2018, 08:03 PM

Default Turned vs Raw Edge Applique

Hi! I'm a bit conflicted about how to approach a table runner project I'm wanting to do for Christmas gifts. The pattern I have instructs you to use fusible applique for the pieces and then shows a blanket stitch around each of the pieces. The pattern is from Europe and I've translated it with an App so obviously I've lost something in the translation . I really don't have any substantial experience with fusible applique. My question is, is there a fusible product that I could use for raw edge Applique, where the applique itself will not fray once it's fused, I even after washing? If so, what is it and will it make the runner stiff? I'm not against turning the edges on the applique pieces either, rather than do raw edge, as I actually prefer that look and am more comfortable with the long term wear and tear on it. I Really don't want to use a satin stitch on the project as I like the look of the blanket stitch, as it adds more to the flavour of the piece in this instance. The shapes involved would be fairly turned edge friendly . Any insight you can offer would be appreciated!
thank you,
Kathy
Old 10-12-2018, 08:27 PM
Power Poster

In my experience, using Wonderunder and a blanket stitch around the appliqué, the edges do eventually get fuzzy after washing. Batiks stay nicer longer but even they eventually no longer look as crisp. If you are looking for a permenately finished look, do turned edge appliqué. Others may have different opinions but this is mine.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:40 PM

Thank you Tartan! Sounds like we are of the same mind.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:13 AM
Power Poster

I do a lot of appliqué. Fused, raw edge, machine appliqué. Generally my go-to fusible ( I purchase it by the bolt) is Heat n Bond Lite. I either use a small zigzag or blanket stitch around each piece. I’ve been doing this for years. I’ve never really had any problems with fraying edges.
If you choose to do needle turn hand appliqué remember to add a seam allowance to each piece.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:27 AM

I much prefer the turned edge method of applique and feel it is well worth the extra time that it takes to do it. There are several helpful techniques to use. With this method, you can use a blanket stitch edge done by hand or machine.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:37 AM

Ok I cheat sometimes. I take a light interfacing and sew to the applique piece and then turn inside out and carefully press so as not to have the interfacing show. If its a large piece I cut the middle out of the interfacing and then place the piece and use a blanket stitch to sew it down. No turning (which I'm not good at!) and no fraying.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ArlaJo View Post
Ok I cheat sometimes. I take a light interfacing and sew to the applique piece and then turn inside out and carefully press so as not to have the interfacing show. If its a large piece I cut the middle out of the interfacing and then place the piece and use a blanket stitch to sew it down. No turning (which I'm not good at!) and no fraying.
That's not cheating! It is just another method of applique. I'm another who prefers turned edges, but I don't do much applique because I don't enjoy all the prep work.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:50 AM

I'm with ArlaJo (maybe it's a Washington thing). Applique or handwork in general is not one of my better skills and I use the inside out method. I sew the interface to the top side of the fabric using tiny stitches. You can see through the fusing to the design in the fabric or you can draw it.

Yesterday I bought a box of scraps and in them were some nice smooth bunny rabbit shapes already cut out and ironed on with freezer paper but not yet trimmed out of the fabric, I'm thinking maybe I should work with them. Then the reminder comes in my mind that "yeah, but you suck at handwork -- maybe you should let someone else have them".

I really do admire y'all who do applique. One of my quilting friends did lovely work and I learned a lot from her even if I don't put that knowledge to use. Not by her, but I remember this one quilt I saw that had bunches of grapes around the border, I swear every grape was an individual circle no bigger than the eraser on the end of a pencil -- all I can say about that is "you go quilter!" because I'm not even going to start
Old 10-13-2018, 08:02 AM

https://www.connectingthreads.com/wa...sheets/p/82136 this is what I have used
Old 10-13-2018, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
Yes, I’ve ussd these too! They work great! I thought I might try the freezer paper starch appliqué method I’ve seen recently as I need to make several repeats and the technique intrigues me . I’ll try to find the link and post it.