Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt journal question. >

Quilt journal question.

Quilt journal question.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:32 PM

Default Quilt journal question.

Do you journal or tell the stories of your quilts some way? If so do you have a form you fill out with pictures etc or do you just write about each one?
Old 10-21-2018, 04:52 PM

I know we're supposed to, but if I even get a pic I think I'm doing good. LOL
Old 10-21-2018, 04:56 PM

I have a notebook that I write things down in. I also have spreadsheets that I keep on my computer. I have my notes on when I "figuring" things out, pictures and often even the money that spent.

I try to do this for every quilt, but I am sure that I have missed some.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

I have a notebook. I write the name of the pattern- if using one, or the theme, who it’s for, what it is going to be. I sketch, I cut swatches of fabrics. I put down the name of the batting, what ever details. I make notes as I progress.and I include a photo of the finished quilt. Date of completion & what I put on the label.
Some are more involved entries, some just a little bit.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:01 PM

No, I don't journal or put labels on my quilts. I don't have the time to do anything except quilt!! and maybe eat a little!

I have no idea how many quilts I've donated and am still donating, but it must be many hundreds. I've been at it for many, many years.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:10 PM

I don't 'journal' per se. I do have a notebook that, as I'm constructing most quilts, I put a note as to who it's for, any block modifications; cutting notes; etc. but that is about it. I mostly photograph my quilts for my own purposes but not all.

In fact, as I was prepping scraps/leftovers for a friend I could not remember in which quilt some of the fabrics were used. That is highly unusual for me. She, on the other hand, is excellent about photographing and notating where and how much she gets her fabrics as much of what she uses is from yard sales; thrift shops; donations and she does mostly charity quilting. Mine are mostly gifts.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:53 PM
Power Poster

I have some quilts written down and who got them, and the year I made them and pictures on my computer.

I don't write down the quilts or take pictures of the quilts I donate.

I never put a label on quilts either. I have a very small family, they know if they have a quilt it is from me.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:18 PM

I won a journal at a show and try to keep it up-to-date--haven't but I do try! What I forget is to get pictures of every quilt I make. One thing I add to the page that is preprinted (details on size, fabrics, who it was made for, when started/finished, special notes) is which of my 2 children will receive it when I die--don't want any arguing!
Old 10-21-2018, 06:51 PM

Started one a couple years back but that fell by the wayside. I think it's great if you have the disciplined personality and desire to document everything. I thought I was that type...guess not. LOL
Old 10-22-2018, 01:11 AM

I take a picture of every quilt, handbag, wall hanging, etc pretty much any and everything I make and store it by year in my computer. I have a folder labeled "Completed Craft Projects" with sub folders for each year, photos dated and labeled as to what and who for. It is so easy to take a picture either with a camera or smartphone. I sometimes take pictures as I work on a project or to check the layout of blocks. That is the extent of my record keeping, unless it is something I have made up myself or altered a pattern so much that it needed an explanation in case I wanted to do it again. In those cases I write up a word document and save that.
I do back up the folders to an external hard drive as it is my only record. Details as to fabric, start stop dates, supplies, etc are lost forever, but I have never really needed those details anyway. I am just pleased if I do remember to take the picture of completed project!!