Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does it need batting? >

Does it need batting?

Does it need batting?

Old 11-01-2018, 11:00 AM

Default Does it need batting?

I'm piecing a flannel quilt out of the leftovers from a circle rag quilt I made last year. I'm planning on backing it with flannel. I hope to hand quilt it (big stitch) since I'm really still uncomfortable with machine quilting. Would you put a batting in it or not? My plan is to send it on to the Domestic Abuse shelter. Even though I am in Ocala, FL, winters do get quite chilly.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

Completely up to you. If you were sending it to North Dakota, I would say add batting but since it is staying in Florida, 2 layers of flannel should be fine.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:14 PM

Only other consideration is perhaps how defined would you like your stitches? Since you are taking the time to hand quilt this - even big stitch - I would think your stitches would be better defined if using batting.

I'm just getting read to start working on an all flannel quilt to finish up for a friend of mine. Her stitching - very tiny, precise stitches - are still well defined. She used Quilter's Dream 100% cotton batting on her other quilts so I'm assuming it's the same batting with this one. It certainly has the same 'hand' as the other one I just finished up for her.

Just my thoughts.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:38 PM

NJ Quilter - I'm a Jersey Girl too, and still summer in NJ and quilt with groups in Ocean Cty. Thanks for your input.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:01 PM
Power Poster

If it were mine I would at least use a thin batting. Just me but, I like the looks with a batting. Your quilt your way.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:35 PM

I made a quilt with a flannel top and flannel backing. I wanted it to be warm but also didn't want to spend a lot of money on it since it was made with scraps and leftovers. I pieced together poly batting to fit and thought it would be sooooo cozy. Nope!! It is the least warm quilt I have ever made. We could use it in the middle of summer and still need a blanket!!

If anyone could tell me why it doesn't hold heat, I would be very grateful. Oh and if you are going to put a batting in your quilt, I would suggest 80/20.