Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh dear I have no idea where to go with this >

Oh dear I have no idea where to go with this

Oh dear I have no idea where to go with this

Old 12-13-2018, 11:07 AM

If she really wants to sew, don't get her a toy one. I started sewing on my mom's when I was 10, she had an Elna, top of the line (my grandparents sold them). I liked sewing but was busy with other things growing up. After marriage, my DMIL gave me her 1928 motorized Singer. I've had two Singers since in 56 years. Just about worn the 2nd one out and at times I still long for the old machine. They were just super. An inexpensive adult machine is what she needs, and a class to learn how to sew (my grandmother taught sewing lessons in their sewing shop). You just may have a budding sewing artist in the future. I LOVE sewing, mostly garment, crafting and home dec. I wish her success.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:44 AM

When I bought my DGD sewing machine (a small Janome on sale before Hancock's left us), and I also bought a pack of 5" squares. She doesn't play with 'dolls' but made a quilt for her kitties. Practiced piecing, straight line sewing, color combos, etc.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:53 PM

Our local Old Sewing Machine Repair Guy has older machines that he has tuned up and are ready to go. Some are under $100. The local fabric store may be able to give you a name of someone local. At this time she only needs a straight stitch machine. As someone suggested previously if she stays interested then an upgrade to a better machine when she is 16 or 18. You could make her some "kits" to start with (including thread), then she can be sewing right away. My mom bought a new Singer when I was about 11 and it came with a promo of lessons. She gave me the lessons and I made a dress. I still remember it very vividly. I wonder if these little plastic almost machines would bounce around on the table and can't imagine that they would hold tension well over a period of time.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:22 PM
Power Poster

first, i'd vote for a real machine that's cheap. you can get a good one for $100 from Walmart. Singer has some low priced ones that sew great. I've a had a few in the past.

I taught sewing to young girls. I worked in a sewing store, and got some pupils that way. call your local high school. a Home Ec. teacher will be able to send you a good sewer for about $10/hr.
When I taught, 3-4 lessons, and they were off on their own. I taught the short cuts too, and the basics. good luck.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:39 PM

I don't like to tell others what to do but rather offer suggestions. I suggest waiting until you find a nice real machine that meets your budget. Used machines can be options on craigslist, local buy and sell Facebook sites etc. In the meantime a hand sewn mini quilt could keep her interest. I remember having machines that didn't work and the frustration it caused. I did manage to buy myself a very nice sewing machine as an adult. As a kid I went more for hand sewing due to the non working machines.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:54 PM
Auj

Like many of the others who responded, I, too was sewing on my mom's Singer. I am the oldest of four and my mother was going to sew dresses for us. You may remember the kind - wrap around shift dresses with two sleeves and one armhole. Sewing for three little girls can take time and I wanted mine asap. My mother did the difficult stuff, but let me sew the long straight seams. I was hooked. I also vote for a 'real' machine if that is possible for you.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
call your local high school. a Home Ec. teacher will be able to send you a good sewer for about $10/hr.
Unfortunately, high school Home Ec teachers are either endangered or extinct.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:59 PM

I vote a "real machine" too. And if she is anywhere near me, I'd love to work with her in your stead. But look into classes at quilt shops, fabric stores and definitely look into 4-H. That's where I learned to sew many years ago. Otherwise, schedule sewing weekends with her and let her use her machine with you until you are satisfied she can work with it. That will get her into sewing faster than anything - weekends with grandma! That will probably be the only time she sews anyway.
I speak from experience - I've been working with my 11 year old grand daughter for almost three years now, just on the occasional weekend. She's too busy with her other interests the rest of the time.
We started with a quilt that we glued pretty patches on then I "steered and she operated the foot pedal. Then a pillow that she sewed with me beside her. Then pj pants - and then she made two more pair for her brother and cousin. She attended my 4-H Quilting Camp last summer and made a bed runner. Next up is a nightgown out of micro fleece (I guess that's what it is). All on my Janome 4800 because I can make it sew slowly... now she calls it "her" machine!

Last edited by SuzzyQ; 12-16-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:50 PM

My GD sewed a quilt before she was 7...weeks before albeit. She loved it. She is 13 now and asked me when is she going to get her own FW because she still sews. She probably makes several little projects a year. The little sewing machine you chose is so cute. The most important thing to me is a sewing machine that works well so they don't get frustrated with sewing and quilt. Just my thoughts.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:45 AM

I got my granddaughters a real nice brother at Wal-Mart .com. Shipped for free. I think I paid 75.00 dollars for them. My son in law. uses it more then she did. He now owns three sewing machines and trying to talk my daughter into a fourth one. He does a lot of backpacks, bags for the back seat of the car. Duffles. He went into JoAnns by himself one day, they asked him if his wife sent her coupons with him. He now gets coupons and the app on his phone.