Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Minky Quilting Questions >

Minky Quilting Questions

Minky Quilting Questions

Old 12-30-2018, 02:03 PM

Default Minky Quilting Questions

I've pieced together a baby quilt top using unwashed LQS quality cotton fabrics and am ready to assemble the top with batting and minky backing that I will quilt on my DSM. This is my first minky quilt so I did a quick google search for tips on quilting minky and now see that I should have pre-washed the cotton fabric as the poly minky won't shrink. Arrghhh.. I'm not excited about uneven shrinkage and a 'vintage looking' quilt once washed.

I'm hoping to minimize shrinkage and was planning to use 80/20 batting but maybe I should use an all poly batting instead? Also, I read that So Fine! and Bottom Line are good thread choices with minky as they will sink-in or blend-in better than cotton? And is it better to spray baste vs pin when using minky?

Any suggestions before I take a swing at this?

Thanks in advance

Christine

Last edited by TheMerkleFamily; 12-30-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:55 PM

I have used minky for backing several quilts. I especially like for kids quilts, although adults enjoy that softness, too. I actually treat it the same as any other backing. I am a pin baster, I use lots of pins always. I use Aurifil 50 cotton thread for piecing and quilting on my domestic sewing machine, a Pfaff 4.2. It blends into the minky nicely. Quilters Dream cotton is my preferred batting. Other than the shedding when it is cut, I think you will love it. As soon as you sew it, it won't shed again. Vacuums up quickly I can't really say if I prewashed the cotton fabrics I used or not. Some I do and some I don't. Flannel is the only thing that I always prewash. I like the combination of flannel for a top with a minky batting.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:20 PM

i disagree with your google thing. because i prewash everything. that's just what the "rule" was when i started quilting in 80's. i prewash minky. i also prewash the blocks of scrap quilts because much of the fabric scraps i'm given are not prewashed. i fill tub, swish by hand gently, drain & spin dry. i use at least 6 color catcher sheets because usually number of blocks are for full size or larger quilt. i then press the washed blocks before i set together. one time i didn't do as above and after quilt finished ..washed and one square was wonkey. i got the remains of a fabric that was in the block and measured it before & after washing. the shrinkage was about 3/8 inch side to side for one of the blocks' fabrics. now for the minkie ..yes it's poly, and i still prewash it for quilts. and after i made a bed for my kitty with unwashed minkie and it shrank big time ..i'm glad i prewash the minkie.

for quilting minky i use no special thread. i like to see the quilting thread on surface ..just like it shows in vintage/antique quilts. i use lighter thread in bobbin tho. both weights sink right in to most minky and aren't readily visible. i spray baste all my minky & flannel backed quilts. i use to pin, then i use to thread baste ..regardless of how careful i was fmq on my domestic i would get a few tucks/pleats in back. i tried spray basting a few years ago and it was perfect. the back was smooth w/o mistakes. i live far enough north that opening windows for spray fumes odor is not practicle. i use the odorless spray by dritz and it holds well, not stickey. and i can breath. joanne's carries it.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:57 PM

I have used minky many times - it makes a very nice backing. I have not washed my fabric for the top when using Minky. if you used good fabric it will be fine. I have never had a problem with shrinkage.

I love the 505 basting spray and never have problems with that - - except that I spend a lot of money buying it. I now use elmers glue (learned that here on the board)

I usually quilt on my domestic machine using King Tut thread

good luck and share pictures when you are done
Old 12-31-2018, 04:13 AM

I’ve only quilted two projects on my DSM with Minky but getting ready for a third. Like meyert posted, I have not prewashed my fabrics or minky and I also spray baste. I use my walking foot and whatever thread matches my quilt and backing the best...sometimes Aurifil or Mettler cotton, sometimes Glide or Isacord poly.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:40 AM

I had some trouble when I first used minky. A long armer told me to use a stretch needle, isacord thread and spraybasting. Never washed the cotton but it was good quality. Made two huge ones this way and quilted on my domestic. Perfect!
Old 12-31-2018, 05:57 AM

Thank you everyone for the wonderful feedback - I'm off to buy some 505 today and pin, pin, pin before quilting this cute little baby boy quilt together! I'll share pics when I'm finished

Christine
Old 12-31-2018, 06:20 AM

I use minkie on a lot of my quilts. I spray baste and sometimes I have to pin along the borders. I always bring any fabrics from the store to the washer. No matter where I buy them. I don’t wash minkie anymore as it never shrunk when I did same as fleece.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:08 PM

Have any of you tried glue basting with milky? I would love to know if it worked, before I try it.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:21 PM

How do you use the elmers glue never heard of that on quilts.