Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
What to serve with baked ham? >

What to serve with baked ham?

What to serve with baked ham?

Old 01-07-2019, 11:41 AM

This is the easiest recipe ever. Don't blink or you'll miss it.

2 to 6 medium sweet potatoes
Wash sweet potatoes well, but don't dry.
Put on bottom of crock pot. Put lid on and turn on low.
Cook 6-7 hours or until tender.
Serve with butter and salt.
-Wellnessmama.com
Old 01-07-2019, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Charley26, your menu sounds delightful. We'll be right over.....

Another good glaze is some marmalade mixed with a little mustard, brushed/poured onto the ham when the skin has been removed, and popped back in the oven for 30 mins to caramelise nicely.
i generally soak my ham in cold water for a few hours, drain, refresh water, bring to boil, drain, refresh water, and cook as usual. I find that this helps with any saltiness.

Anyone done Nigella Lawson's ham in Coke. Sounds odd, but it works a treat. Pan does need a proper clean though!!

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/ham-in-coca-cola
Old 01-07-2019, 02:05 PM

Scalloped potatoes is what grandma always served with ham. That and candied carrots, but we opt for plain buttered carrots.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:30 PM

Sweet potato, apple sauce or pineapple, veggie of choice. If you like butternut squash, it can be used in place of a potato.

I am partial to roasted brussel sprouts, but mix them with other veggies such as corn, peas, carrots, chopped onion and parsnips. I also add an apple or pear, quarter it and cut into smaller pieces, when roasting the veggies. My spice of choice is Carribean Jerk. It's spicy hot, but not outrageously so, although the more you use, the spicier it is. Mix it in 2 tablespoons of olive oil, then pour it over the veggies. Gently tumble veggies around so that all of them get a coating oil and seasoning on them. (I use my clean hands to tumble them.) Sometimes I add raisins or dried cranberry to the mix. Put them in a covered pan and Roast at 350 to 400 degrees until done - the way I like my veggies means they roast for about 45 minutes.

I learned not to mix broccoli and brussel sprouts. Awful combination, as all you will smell and taste is broccoli. Broccoli over powers the other veggies.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:39 PM

My family loves potato salad with a little yellow mustard mixed in and baked beans with a little brown sugar, ketchup and onion added with ham. Deviled eggs and a good yeast bread are a must side for them too. Ummmm...I'm getting hungry!
Old 01-07-2019, 04:08 PM
Power Poster

I do not like this but my kids do and so do many of my friends, a noodle dish. Yes, even mac and cheese or macaroni salad. I personally like some mash potatoes or sweet dinner rolls. Good luck! Not my favorite meal either. I do like it for breakfast with hashbrowns and eggs over easy. LOL Maybe do that and some fresh cut fruit.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

Oh yes, I just squirt mustard on top and add a can of crushed pineapples on top. Sofar everyone loves that.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
It all depends on how fancy-schmancy of a meal your son wants!

Not a fancy meal, but Ham with Macaroni and Cheese is always a winner in my world.
Then a simple salad or cooked veggie to go with it.

The leftovers of the three hots freeze well into single portion meals, if that is of interest.
Man I am glad you also posted this. I thought people might think me crazy serving mac and cheese with it. lol
Old 01-07-2019, 04:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
This is my favorite recipe to serve with ham. It's a corn casserole using yellow rice.

2 cans yellow corn
1 small pkg Mahatma yellow rice -cooked to pkg instructions
1/4 c chopped bell pepper
1/4 c chopped onion
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 small jar diced pimentos
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 stick butter

Melt butter and place in casserole dish. Mix all ingredients an top with grated cheese. Bake 350 for 15-20 minutes till bubbly.

I double this recipe. Mahatma rice comes either in a small or a large package. When I double it I use the large pkg. I also mix in extra cheddar cheese. It's great even for breakfast the next day.
This sounds delicious!
Old 01-07-2019, 05:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
Man I am glad you also posted this. I thought people might think me crazy serving mac and cheese with it. lol
Definitely not crazy!
but like I said, it all depends on how fancy-schmancy of a meal they want.

Likewise, if I have leftover ham and have not made Mac+Cheese, for the first round ...
very likely M+C it will be for the planned overs!