Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you organize old magazines >

How do you organize old magazines

How do you organize old magazines

Old 01-12-2019, 04:24 AM

Default How do you organize old magazines

I have stacks of magazines that I don't want throw out, but they are taking up more room than I want. I'm thinking of tearing out the quilt patterns and throwing out the rest. Maybe put in plastic sheet protectors and 3 ring binders. Have any of you done it and how do you categorize them? Or have you done something else?
Old 01-12-2019, 04:31 AM

That’s what I do Cindy...I don’t subscribe to any magazines on a regular basis but have been gifted a few from time to time for birthday and Christmas. I browse through any new magazine right away and keep the pattern and instructions to the ones I like or that I might want to do in the future. I put them in sheet protectors and into a binder and then I pass the magazine along to quilting friends.

I wish I had followed the same process with cooking magazines...sigh.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:22 AM

Yes I use binders & sheet protectors, now I find what I want quickly. I have 4 binders (kids, table runners, patterns I’ve made and patterns yet to be done). For me it was a liberating feeling to cut down this way. I will caution this: double check you have the complete pattern before disposing of the magazine. (and how do I know this ?). LOL
Old 01-12-2019, 05:32 AM

I photocopy the patterns I like rather than tear them out. So when I pass the magazine along, it is complete. Copies are kept in binders too.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:41 AM

i tear mine out the ones i want to try and then throw alway the rest
Old 01-12-2019, 06:24 AM

I recently found a huge stack of quilt magazines at my library give away that I am going thru. I have torn out some patterns and am passing on the magazines. Can't help but notice though that the older magazines (2007, 8, etc.) have much more appeal to me. The new magazines just seem dull and they are thinner, too. Just another sign that the printed material is in decline.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:43 AM

I tear out the pattern I want and then recycle the magazine. I had years of back issues and they took up too much room.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:43 AM

Almost anything can be found on the internet. I don't know why I have an entire shelf of Australian Patchwork magazines. And a closet full of Quilter's Newsletter in binders. What I find that I really want to do I photocopy and put into binders labeled Quilt Fun I, Quilt Fun II. etc.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:21 AM

I just went thru my magazines recently and copied the patterns I wanted to keep. I then gave the magazines to a nursing home close by and thought maybe someone would like to look thru them. I find that most any quilt ideas I am interested in I can locate on the internet. This purge gave me a lot more room on the upper shelf in my closet.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

I decided the magazines were taking too much space, so I tore out the patterns I liked and put them in plastic protectors. The rest of the magazines went into the recycling bin. I started to put them in 3-ring binders, then decided that I preferred using magazine files (made of cardboard) that the magazines had been in. They're easy to look through for inspiration. I did a rough sort with a few categories like applique, quilting designs, scrappy quilts, but the real reward was in getting the many shelves of magazines reduced to just a few files. It also meant that the patterns parts that had been spread over a few months in the magazines were collected together.