Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What size to cut scraps? >

What size to cut scraps?

What size to cut scraps?

Old 02-02-2019, 08:28 AM

I cut my scraps into large pieces first, FQ's, 10", 8.5, 6, 5, 4.5, 4, 3.5,3, 2.5,2,1.5. The smaller squares I use as leaders and enders and have made 5 decent size lap quilts out of them. The 6" I've made HST's and QSTs and made quilts. I'm running out of room in my drawers so I need to get busy and get some more quilts made up from them.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:11 AM

Me, too Tartan! That way I can make many 6" blocks of different patterns.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:30 AM

I tried Bonnie Hunter's method, but I found that it did not work for me. Guess I like odd patterns, because after I cut my scrapes I saw a pattern I really like that called for 2 3/4 inch squares. So I have gone back to sorting scrapes by color, pressed and neatly stacked in boxes.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

I think the key is to answer what type of quilts do you like to make. Do you like to use patterns with specific sizes, ie 5" squares, layer cakes? Do you like string or crumb quilts, where any width and length works? As mentioned, Scrap Therapy and Bonnie Hunter's system works for some...do you like the quilts that are made from these methods? Kitsie makes adorable 6" blocks all the time (we never tire of seeing them, K!)

Once you have figured it out then start cutting some scraps to see if it really works for you.

Personally, I am overwhelmed with scraps...mostly everyone else's...that I am just cutting a bunch of them in the biggest size and work down similar to BH. I also make miniatures so for me...nothing's too small...well almost nothing!
Old 02-02-2019, 10:56 AM

I usually don't cut scraps into any certain size. I just wait until I have decided on a pattern and then go into my scrap bin and dig thru to find the right size I need.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:09 PM

I keep everything big enough to cut something from. I don't pre-cut pieces but do sort my scraps by colour families into a couple sets of those plastic drawer sets that are see-through. I can easily see what colours are my favourites and which I use less often by how full the drawers are. Digging through for a project can be a bit of a pain, or it can be a nostalgic trip through previous projects, depending on my mood.
I have more trouble storing pieces that are full width, both yardage and partial pieces. I just can't figure out a good method for folding to fit into my cupboard.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by b.zang View Post
I keep everything big enough to cut something from. I don't pre-cut pieces but do sort my scraps by colour families into a couple sets of those plastic drawer sets that are see-through. I can easily see what colours are my favourites and which I use less often by how full the drawers are. Digging through for a project can be a bit of a pain, or it can be a nostalgic trip through previous projects, depending on my mood.
I have more trouble storing pieces that are full width, both yardage and partial pieces. I just can't figure out a good method for folding to fit into my cupboard.
I use what's termed the"ruler fold" method. Take your long ruler and wrap the yardage around the ruler like it would be on a fabric bolt. Then I fold in half...that means about a 6 x 10 inch piece of fabric...and all pieces are near the same size and can be stacked in a neat pile. I use an open bookcase. You can customize your finished size by using a different sized ruler or even make yourself a cardboard template for the size that fits your cupboard.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by PiedPiper View Post
But when I see pictures of boxes full of strips all jumbled together, I just can't do it! It makes my organizing heart happy to see those tidy piles of squares in my shoe boxes, all sorted according to size and value. But that's just me - visual clutter stresses me out.
My scrap strips are stored in stacks in drawers, not jumbled. They are stacked up just like the squares are. Go for it!
Old 02-02-2019, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

If scraps are not large enough for 5 or 6" squares than I cut them into strips 1" - 2-1/2" to use in strip or piano key borders. I had all the scraps used from years ago, both mine and my Daughters. Now I am starting over collecting them again.Because scraps are left from every quilt. I have made 5 more quilts since last December.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:11 PM
Power Poster

I'm not a big scrap saver but I do have some. I don't cut them until I have something in mind to do with them.