Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Freezing Fabric >

Freezing Fabric

Freezing Fabric

Old 02-25-2019, 07:47 AM

Default Freezing Fabric

Do you freeze your fabric? No, I'm not talking about where to store it or where to hide it from hubby.

I had a great quilting teacher. I took many classes from her through a community college. She advocated freezing fabric. I know there is a controversy about whether to wash fabric or not wash fabric. I happen to be a person who washes probably 95% of the fabric that I purchase.

After washing your fabric (if you care to do so), put it in the dryer and Partrially dry it. That is important. Don't dry it completely. Fold the fabric and put it in a plastic bag and then put it in the freezer. Whenever you feel like ironing it, take it out of the freezer .... it may have some bits of ice on it. Iron it with a dry iron. As my quilting teacher said, "it irons like butter" .... can't say I've ever ironed butter! All the wrinkles will be gone and the fabric will be so smooth.

So, I ask again: do you freeze your fabric? If you don't, try it .... you may like it!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-25-2019 at 08:30 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 02-25-2019, 07:50 AM

I'm a pre-washer and I'll have to keep this in mind, but no -- I've never deliberately frozen fabric. I did live in Alaska for a couple of decades so fabric definite got frozen
Old 02-25-2019, 08:03 AM

Never unsewn fabric, but in the olden days, I used to freeze my clothes to be ironed if they were dampened and rolled and I got bored with ironing. All those little full skirted dresses for my girls to play in. What was I thinking?
Old 02-25-2019, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

I'm a pre-washer too, but have not frozen the fabrics. I'll keep this in mind. I do recall my mom and grandma sprinkling wrinkled clothes and putting them into a pillowcase, then into the fridge.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:13 AM

I'm a prewasher, I find if I dry it with a fluffy towel and take it out promptly, I rarely have to iron it. I bought several hundred yards of fabric last year when the LQS went out of business, I may not buy any more for several years.

The only time I've put textile goods in the freezer was to deal with a potential insect issue.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

my mother in law used to put the ironing in the refrigerator until she got to it
Old 02-25-2019, 08:38 AM

Well now. These days we are supposed to think outside the box, but this would definitely be thinking inside the box, ice box that is.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:42 AM

I remember my Mom putting sprinkled clothes in the fridge too. I can't say if she ever threw them into the freezer. But laundry was hung outside even in the winter. It helped to keep the whites white and also to bleach things like flour bag fabric, which would then be embroidered and hemmed for 'everyday' teatowels. Sugar sack fabric was made into 'fancy' or 'Sunday' teatowels. I can also remember it being so cold that whoever took the washing off the line had to be careful not to break the corners of the towels and sheets.

Thank goodness for dryers!!
Old 02-25-2019, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
Thank goodness for dryers!!
Amen to that! I have never frozen fabric, but then I'm not much of a prewasher either. I will keep it in mind if I decide to pre wash.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:25 AM

That's such a great idea! I have taken over so much of our house with my quilting stuff....I'm afraid I'd better stay out of the kitchen or there'd be no food in the freezer and lots of fabric! This morning, I noticed I've started to put my stuff outside my sewing room "just while I'm quilting"......then it kind of just stays there!