Value of Antique Machines

Old 04-05-2019, 06:37 AM

Default Value of Antique Machines

A number of years ago, I went bonkers and bought a few antique sewing machines. I have three treadle machines, four or five machines in coffin boxes, and a couple of lose machines (no bases - these were given to me). Some are around 100 years old and others are newer maybe 50-75 years old.

We are thinking about retirement, relocating to somewhere warm and this means downsizing. I really don't want to move all of these machines. They really should be in homes where they will be appreciated.

My question is: How do I find a fair value of these machines? I don't want to rip anyone off, including myself. Do you know what steps I would take? DH says that items are only worth what people are going to pay. I just need a starting point and then I can do the research.

Thanks in advance!!

Cheri
Old 04-05-2019, 06:53 AM

DH is right, they are only worth what you can get out of them. If I were trying to sell my older machines, I would look thru Craigslist and see if any were sold that match your model number. Featherweights are highly prized of course, but Coffin cases may not be as desirable due to the amount of space that they take up. I would not go by Ebay, it seems those prices are inflated. At least here in Florida. You might want to consider what you paid for them plus what you put into them and start there.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:01 AM

My search for prices would start in the source I intend to use. If you are going to sell locally, I'd look at Craig's List, if you plan to list on eBay I'd look there. One thing you need to keep in mind with online sales is to look at machines that have actually sold. You can ask anything you want, it doesn't mean anyone will buy it. Looking at the prices of machines that have sold will give you a good idea of what someone will pay for it.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:50 AM

Let me know what you have via PM, and I may be able to give you an idea of what to ask. I've got over 150 of the darn things - and many were bought in your area (DH and I are originally from the Twin Cities and have lots of relatives there). I'm not interested in buying myself so I'm not going to try to lowball you to get a deal.

Machines go from $20 to $2000 depending on what you have, with most around the $150 mark. You don't get into big bucks unless you've got something truly rare.

Interestingly, some of the vintage Singer attachments are worth more than most vintage machines
Old 04-05-2019, 11:27 AM

Ebay has a lot of listing for antique sewing machines and there is hardly anyone buying. DH has sold a lot of stuff on Craigslist and Facebook. I wish I had a featherweight, sigh.....
Old 04-05-2019, 01:52 PM

Why not liquidate the machines you have now that you decide not to keep and buy a FW with the proceeds? It's small and easy to move
Old 04-05-2019, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

Collector may pay a fair price for rare machines but for regular sewers, featherweights seem to hold their value the best.