Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing does seem to crinkle up a quilt - >

Washing does seem to crinkle up a quilt -

Washing does seem to crinkle up a quilt -

Old 04-28-2019, 11:45 AM
Power Poster

Default Washing does seem to crinkle up a quilt -

I was talking to someone and she told me that she had a special quilt custom quilted.

After it was washed, it just crinkled up and a lot of the detail of the quilting was no longer discernible.

(Which does go with the - "after it's quilted, no one will notice small imperfections")

Do people that exhibit quilts wash them before showing?

If yes, how do they get them "flat" again"

I prefer a "flattish" look - and my quilts are "fairly flat" after washing and drying them, but I do not have the inclination or space to block them.

Could they be "pressed/ironed" flat to sort of look "new" if i was so inclined?
Old 04-28-2019, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

I do wash my quilts and put them in the dryer until just damp. I then spread them out on the carpet in my spare room to finish drying. I will sometimes use rust proof pins along the binding to stretch and block a quilt to the carpet if it needs it.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:58 AM

Imho, I think it really depends on the batting used as far as crinkly vintage look vs remaining relatively flat with the design more visible. When I use cotton I get the more crinkly/vintage look that I like, but when I use polyester batting the quilt design is more visible. I’m sure someone with far more expertise will chime in and give better info.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:23 PM

I believe most quilts aren't washed before being entered in a show. I don't see how one could be flattened out again once washed. I also would prefer a flatter look, but my quilts always crinkle even though I preshrink my batting and fabric and dry flat (but I have not tried polyester batting).
Old 04-28-2019, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

I always wash a quilt after the binding is sewn on. When a quilt is used the crinkles do stretch out. Crinkles is what I like about homemade quilts. Otherwise I would buy store boughten quilts.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:46 PM

I don't wash quilts before showing them. If they need to be blocked I wet them with room temp water and pin them to my design wall to dry. That way they don't get crinkled and the quilting really stands out.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 04-28-2019 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:56 PM
Power Poster

A national show winner told me she put a lightweight fusible stabilizer on the back of her quilt top and backing to keep it perfectly smooth and it won't stretch or give when it is being quilted.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:08 PM

I was told my a couple of national level quilters that win big at big shows that they use mostly poly bat (doesn't hold creases as much as cotton or wool) and don't wash before entry.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:12 AM

I have been told not to wash a quilt before entering in a show. I also prefer a less crinkly look, so I prewash all fabrics and prewash batting and dry in a hot dryer to minimize shrinkage after using it in a quilt. Although I prefer the weight and feel of cotton batting, I find poly batting stays much flatter too.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:05 PM

I agree poly is better for avoiding wrinkles than cotton. I have ironed place mats and table runners if they wrinkle and then they look the way I want them to.