Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need input on a new sewing table >

need input on a new sewing table

need input on a new sewing table

Old 04-30-2019, 05:23 PM

Default need input on a new sewing table

My machines are not set into sewing tables and it dawned on me while at a retreat this weekend that with increasing back problems, I really need a decent, ergonomic sewing table. I currently use just a simple one bought when Hancock's Fabric was closing--a simple upside down U on coasters. I had my son cut about 3" off the legs trying to get it to the right height. But it just doesn't work well. I'm wanting something that I could set a machine down into the cut-out--but since I use 3 different machines at different times it would need to adjust for that. On the wall where my machine sits, I have a large desk next to it--so a new table doesn't have to be super big as I can lay a quilt top on the desk when attaching binding, etc. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:13 PM

I got a SewEzi table last year and really like it. You can get inserts for different machines to fit it. I have the extension table also, but it sounds like you wouldn't need that.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:34 PM
Power Poster

I have an Arrow table that I can fit my machines into. I butt them up to the front and left side edge of the table wedge them in with anything that will fit flush. The tray the machines sit on is adjustable. I have no problem with this set up
Old 05-01-2019, 12:39 AM

Just a thought.....but what kind of chair do you use? For a friend of mine, it was her chair that was causing back pain. Look at how high you sit, what support your back has, and how close to the machine can you get? An adjustable height, rolling office type chair is what I prefer and I can adjust the height to which machine I am working with.
I have a Cloud cabinet for my Janome 15000 and when the machine is flush with the top of cabinet, the needle area is a bit far from me and I have to reach a bit farther to work. Kinda throws my posture out of position so I just get up more frequently to take the strain off my back.
Hope you find a set up that works for you.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:41 AM

If you want to invest, Martelli's tables tilt and adjust height from sitting to standing. But it is a true investment. They spoke at my Guild Meeting, it's amazing what their tables can do. I know they are at the large shows, you could see them there. Murphy 224 has the right idea to try the chair first. I use an office chair also with an adjustable back and seat, that can tilt forward.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:29 AM
Power Poster

I have the large Arrow Kangaroo sewing table. It is hydraulic and very easy to adjust the machine bed shelf. If you use multiple machines then you can buy the insert to fit each machine. It's easy to change them out. If you don't have the room for the large one the Tasmanian II is adjustable. https://www.arrowcabinets.com/shop/b...ustable-table/ I also have the Arrow sewing chair. It's the best I've ever used for sitting and sewing for a long time.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:15 AM

I have a Gidget 1 and 2...1 having a smaller hole for my vintage singers and sewing machines. no. 2 has larger opening for my Husq SE and Epic...what I did was trace the arm and body of the machine onto paper and then traced onto form board and cut it out which fits perfectly to make an even insert surface...So I didn't have to pay big bucks for a acrylic insert...
Old 05-01-2019, 09:22 AM

If you go to the bottom of the page you can open the Archives. Post 7529, "Portable" tables heavy vintage machines. I believe I am set up with 50 posts per page and it is on Page 31 for me. Archaic Arcane converted a table adaptable to several machines for about $30.00. From this post he refers you to the original post with pictures.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:32 AM

Someone had mentioned the SewEzi. I love mine, too, and use it with two different machines.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:27 PM

I have back problems and I use an adjustable height desk and stand when I sew. It has done wonderful things for my back, my PT thinks it's because instead of sitting passively I'm constantly adjusting my position and forcing my core muscles to do more work. I looked at the tilting Martelli but it was way out of my price range so I went to the office desk store and got lucky in the scratch and dent section. My machine doesn't go down into the table though so that might be the deal breaker. If you have an ortho or a PT they might have a good suggestion