Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Simply Sixteen by Handi Quilter >

Simply Sixteen by Handi Quilter

Simply Sixteen by Handi Quilter

Old 05-04-2019, 01:18 PM

Default Simply Sixteen by Handi Quilter

Does anyone have an opinion on this machine? I've been quilting on a 9" throat Pfaff Hobby Grand Quilter/Inspira Frame for almost 15 years and have loved every stitch it has sewn and believe me it has sewn many, but I went to a dealer yesterday to have my machines serviced and low and behold the floor model of this Simply Sixteen took a hold on me and won't let go. It comes with a "little foot" quilt frame, bobbin winder and other perks. I would just love some input on it! Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails 20190503_115959_resized.jpg  
Old 05-04-2019, 01:36 PM

This is a big decision.

I had a HQ16 that I bought used, and loved it. I gave it to my sister when I bought a Q'nique 21". Would have gone 'up' with a HQ machine, but a new machine plus Pro-Stitcher was way more than I wanted to pay. My DH serviced the HQ16 for 8 years. All it ever needed was a cleaning and a bit of oil. I wish I could say that I was 'gentle' with the machine. However, I was learning quilting on it, so made my share of what could have been big mistakes. It worked in spite of me.

Ask whether it is stitch regulated - probably not - and decide if you need stitch regulation and inquire about pricing. (If you decide to computerized quilting, you will need stitch regulation.)

I wonder if it would work on your Inspira frame? That's another good question to ask!
Old 05-04-2019, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
This is a big decision.

I had a HQ16 that I bought used, and loved it. I gave it to my sister when I bought a Q'nique 21". Would have gone 'up' with a HQ machine, but a new machine plus Pro-Stitcher was way more than I wanted to pay. My DH serviced the HQ16 for 8 years. All it ever needed was a cleaning and a bit of oil. I wish I could say that I was 'gentle' with the machine. However, I was learning quilting on it, so made my share of what could have been big mistakes. It worked in spite of me.

Ask whether it is stitch regulated - probably not - and decide if you need stitch regulation and inquire about pricing. (If you decide to computerized quilting, you will need stitch regulation.)

I wonder if it would work on your Inspira frame? That's another good question to ask!
Thanks cathyvv! It does have a stitch regulator (and yes you are right! I do need the stitch regulator) but they said it won't work on the Inspira frame. I plan on keeping the old set up because if nothing else I can baste the three layers on it, in preparation for the new set up and still do my pantographs. It really is a totally different set up and would take a lot of adjusting this old brain but boy it looks inviting.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:28 PM

I have that machine but on a 10 foot studio frame. Loading/moving the quilt on the little foot frame seemed way too much trouble for me, especially having to make the quilt sandwich prior to loading (my least favorite thing). As far as the machine itself, it works great. I've had it for a year with no problems.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by indycat32 View Post
I have that machine but on a 10 foot studio frame. Loading/moving the quilt on the little foot frame seemed way too much trouble for me, especially having to make the quilt sandwich prior to loading (my least favorite thing). As far as the machine itself, it works great. I've had it for a year with no problems.
Thanks indycat32! So many thing to take into consideration!
Old 05-04-2019, 08:13 PM

The biggest benefit of this set-up is that it doesn't take up as much space as a full-size longarm. I don't know if you can put the ProStitcher on the Simply 16. You could get the back handlebars and do pantographs. And you could get the Ruler Base and do ruler work -- my favorite quilting method at the moment. I really think you could quickly baste your quilt sandwich on the Simply 16, before you do the actual quilting.

I have the Avante' and wish I could have got the Amara or Fusion. Go as big as you can. The bigger the frame and machine, the faster you can get a quilt done.

HandiQuilter is a great company!
Old 05-05-2019, 02:51 AM

My first machine was the Simply 16 and I Loved it! Sold and purchased an Amara w/ProStitcher. Love it also but there are days I miss the Simply due to the lightness and ease with free motion. I debated about keeping both and wish I had. Good luck with your decision as it was hard for me to make that first step.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-05-2019 at 03:01 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 05-05-2019, 10:17 AM

I have that machine on a 10 ft table and I really love it.I used to have a gammel premier sold it,had problems getting service for it with out driving 5 hrs one way.So I sold it and bought a handle quilter from a place here in town love it
Old 05-05-2019, 10:19 AM

Mine has stitch regulator
Old 05-06-2019, 06:54 AM

Personally I couldn't go down to that size frame, I am so use to my 12 foot frame and I don't like the moving of the quilt sandwich and worrying that I could find a disaster on the back of the quilt. Just me though.