Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Christmas Tree Skirt Requirement...am I reading this right? >

Christmas Tree Skirt Requirement...am I reading this right?

Christmas Tree Skirt Requirement...am I reading this right?

Old 05-26-2019, 04:39 PM

Default Christmas Tree Skirt Requirement...am I reading this right?

I'm looking at a Christmas tree skirt pattern that is free from Windham Fabrics, called the Frosted Pines Tree Skirt. It is 60" in diameter and part of it is paper pieced....

In the requirements, it calls for almost 8 yards of fabric, not including the backing.....Can that be right?

I've looked in the Windham Fabrics pattern corrections and it isn't in there.

I've looked over the pattern on the PDF and I can't understand where all the fabric is coming from, but I don't want to start it and end up having to invest in 7+ yards of fabric because I missed something.

If anyone cares to have a look and tell me what they think I'd appreciate it.

http://www.windhamfabrics.net/cgi-bi...p/projects.cgi Type in Frosted Pines in the search box.

Thanks!
Watson
Old 05-26-2019, 04:54 PM

It does include backing and binding. The green stripe is used for binding and the last fabric uses very little on the top. Says to save the rest for the backing. Re read the cutting direction to see if I read it right
Old 05-26-2019, 04:56 PM

Looks to me like the golden 2 1/2 yds is also used for the backing? That is a good size skirt. I hate those little ones. Did you find the paper piecing parts to print? I didn't. Marie
Old 05-26-2019, 06:37 PM
Power Poster

Marie, I found the paper piecing parts at the end of the pattern. I'm not surprised that it's about 8 yards of fabric. I'm sure there will be some left over, and pattern designers usually round up a bit. It's a large tree skirt, paper piecing requires a bit more fabric than regular piecing, round things usually require more fabric, and the back is included. It's a cute pattern.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:45 PM

It is really cute but I would re-work the back. Either use a wide backing or make a pieced circle (fewer pie shapes than the front which would have less waste).

I might also consider making this adding Christmas scraps instead of some of the suggested fabrics. Paper piecing does use a lot of fabric which makes it a great way to use up scraps.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:08 PM

I read it to be 7.5 yds total for the front and the back.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
I'm looking at a Christmas tree skirt pattern that is free from Windham Fabrics, called the Frosted Pines Tree Skirt. It is 60" in diameter and part of it is paper pieced....

In the requirements, it calls for almost 8 yards of fabric, not including the backing.....Can that be right?

I've looked in the Windham Fabrics pattern corrections and it isn't in there.

I've looked over the pattern on the PDF and I can't understand where all the fabric is coming from, but I don't want to start it and end up having to invest in 7+ yards of fabric because I missed something.

If anyone cares to have a look and tell me what they think I'd appreciate it.

http://www.windhamfabrics.net/cgi-bi...p/projects.cgi Type in Frosted Pines in the search box.

Thanks!
Watson
Couldn't locate the pattern -- soooo many pages. What page is it on? Tried the search line but nothing came up.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:41 AM

A really rough way to figure is that if it is 60" in diameter, you would need 2 pieces of 1 3/4" yards for front and same for back = 3 1/2 x's 2 = 7 yards. Now figure in the binding around the outside edge, up the slit and around the inside and that could be the other yard. I make and sell skirts and make a lot of them at 40" because I can do it at WOF. I sell a lot of them because people don't want to spend the money that a large one would cost (think they get a better deal at the dept. store!). You will end up with bits and bobs of the fabrics but, overall, it will be close to the 8 yards.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:12 AM

pretty skirt and I like that it is a larger than others I have seen.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dakota Rose View Post
Couldn't locate the pattern -- soooo many pages. What page is it on? Tried the search line but nothing came up.
i typed 'frosted pines' in the search box and it came right up... Watson gave that direction in her post