Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
In praise of the old Baby Lock/Juki BL3 408 >

In praise of the old Baby Lock/Juki BL3 408

In praise of the old Baby Lock/Juki BL3 408

Old 05-27-2019, 05:41 AM

Default In praise of the old Baby Lock/Juki BL3 408

I rescued a couple of these sergers for a song. One is frozen, which I will work on later this week. The one that wasn't I cleaned up well, threaded (which wasn't horrible once I found the first hole on the lower looper), then adjusted the tensions according to the manual. That little serger did an almost perfect stitch first time running! I then tried a 3 thread rolled hem - very easy to adjust as the manual was very clear. Held my breath and another perfect stitch! Sure the tensions need adjusting a tad but to be able to have success first try? Wow!

I'm so impressed with the ability of this little 3/2 serger!
Old 05-27-2019, 09:04 AM

My friend asked me to fix her BL/Juki 436 a few days ago because it is frozen. She hasn't used it in years! I cleaned out all the fluff and put about 20 drops of oil in the furthest up hole, then oiled all the metal/metal parts sparingly. It groans loudly and turns over very slowly - I'm afraid to push it much, because I don't want to burn out the motor. I've never worked on serger before and don't know how to get inside, or what to look at if I do. Can you give me any suggestions? The only thing I can think of now is taking it to a fix-it guy, and that would probably cost $100 or more. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-27-2019, 11:12 AM

Take the covers off and oil again. Slowly turn the hand wheel by hand until it's turning freely. Oil all areas where moving metal meets metal. I use Tri-Flow for this purpose. If you see rust, you can use a copper scrubber gently or use a paintbrush dipped in a bit of evapo-rust. Usually you only use lubricating grease in a motor. I've also used a thin artist paint brush to get oil into little crevices around the needle bar which helps to unfreeze it.