Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What -"Why didn't I try that before" moment have you had quilting? >

What -"Why didn't I try that before" moment have you had quilting?

What -"Why didn't I try that before" moment have you had quilting?

Old 06-12-2019, 04:19 PM

Mine was investing in a better sewing machine. My little Brother always, even new, struggled with a straight stitch. It pulled my fabric off to the left. I loved the idea of sewing and creating but I felt like I was fighting with my machine. Even after a trip to the repairman, it stIll did it, though it was lessened. I finally made the decision to upgrade for bigger harp space. I narrowed down my choices reading the threads here, researching online, and speaking to the local repairman. After that, I went into some dealers to try machines. What a difference it was! I have finished 4 quilts since I bought my machine in December when I had previously only finished a table runner and some placemats. I even started free motion quilting. I’m so pleased with my machine.

My next was learning about chain piecing. Now it seems like such a “duh” type of thing but I didn’t learn about it until I watched online tutorials.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:01 PM

Thank you, IrishMom for such a useful thread. I got several ideas of things to try.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:03 AM
Power Poster

I've gotten so many tips from board members that I would never have known.
One of my favorites is using Elmer's Washable School Glue for basting. I love that technique!!
But there are many others, all thanks to all of you.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:30 AM

My abilities and desire to quilt can be directly related to this board and the members on it. Before I found it I would do a tee shirt quilt once every two or three years. Then I discovered these boards and they gave me the technical suggestions and the creativity spark needed. Especially having joined in some of the swaps. Although my husband might just call these boards my enablers!

And Michele, I'm with you on chain piecing as well! That and strip sewing and cutting - so fast but you get so many pieces when you are done!

And thanks csstexas -- so many good things to try!

Susie - I've read about that and need to research it more. Last week I spray basted a quilt with a different brand spray since my favorite was out. Well the house still smells of it, as I am constantly reminded by my husband and daughter! And after spray basting I can't go back to pinning.