Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To all the Free Motion Wanabees >

To all the Free Motion Wanabees

To all the Free Motion Wanabees

Old 06-25-2019, 08:54 PM

Default To all the Free Motion Wanabees

Sometime last month I posted how discouraged I felt when faced with the prospects of ever learning how to free motion quilt. I mentioned that I had no eye-hand coordination what so ever and couldn't draw worth a darn. I did not feel that "practice, practice, practice" was going to do it for me.

My initial efforts were pitiful. More than pitiful. I could not make a decent curve of any sort, or make quick enough decisions of where I had to go next, without getting locked in. Up until a few days ago, I still felt that way. My lovely curves and circles looked more like lightning bolts in a bad storm.

Today, I shattered that opinion. I saw progress, and I am excited about this pursuit, which I never dreamed I would be. Actually, I find quilting Fun. I remember watching Angela W one night on YouTube when she said after completing her piecing that now she gets to do the fun part. Fun, I thought. For you maybe, but for me, Never.

Well, my fellow newbees, I am hear to tell you that you can do it. You will do it, and you will truely enjoy doing it. In my opinion, it is a more gratifying artistic endevour than piecing (once you make a break through) So, get yourself some cotton sheets from Goodwill and start riping. (don't forget the batting) Each day, after you put in your alloted time, date your days work right on the sheet.

One day not that far off, you will hold up that sheet, and you will be grinning ear to ear.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-26-2019 at 02:43 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 06-25-2019, 09:59 PM

Funny that you should post this today, as I had almost that same feeling last night. I felt like it wasn't as bad as much as usual. Hey! Progress!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-26-2019 at 02:44 AM. Reason: language
Old 06-26-2019, 03:09 AM

Thanks for the encouragement. I haven't been able to do any free motion in a good while (life gets in the way). And, like you, I felt like "practice" wasn't getting me where I wanted to be when I was trying to free motion. I've been looking at a lot of table runner patterns lately and some have such beautiful free motion. Of course, those are the patterns that caught my eye the most. I have several twin sheets I don't use any more and plenty of large scraps of batting. Now I just need to make time each week to work on my free motion. I just may start on that today.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:25 AM
Power Poster

Shill, thank you!!!!
I know all about the lightning bolts For many years I've been a hand quilter and learning how to FMQ just about did me in. I think the key point in your lovely post is to practice consistently. That's where I fall short.

I have a top all ready and I'm terrified to quilt it. It's a baby quilt for my first grandchild due in September. I look at it every single day and worry that it won't turn out well.

Thanks again. I know I can do this but I need to practice more.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Schill93 View Post
Sometime last month I posted how discouraged I felt when faced with the prospects of ever learning how to free motion quilt. I mentioned that I had no eye-hand coordination what so ever and couldn't draw worth a darn. I did not feel that "practice, practice, practice" was going to do it for me.

My initial efforts were pitiful. More than pitiful. I could not make a decent curve of any sort, or make quick enough decisions of where I had to go next, without getting locked in. Up until a few days ago, I still felt that way. My lovely curves and circles looked more like lightning bolts in a bad storm.

Today, I shattered that opinion. I saw progress, and I am excited about this pursuit, which I never dreamed I would be. Actually, I find quilting Fun. I remember watching Angela W one night on YouTube when she said after completing her piecing that now she gets to do the fun part. Fun, I thought. For you maybe, but for me, Never.

Well, my fellow newbees, I am hear to tell you that you can do it. You will do it, and you will truely enjoy doing it. In my opinion, it is a more gratifying artistic endevour than piecing (once you make a break through) So, get yourself some cotton sheets from Goodwill and start riping. (don't forget the batting) Each day, after you put in your alloted time, date your days work right on the sheet.

One day not that far off, you will hold up that sheet, and you will be grinning ear to ear.
Thank you so much for this encouraging post. Boy, do I need it. I am just past the pitiful point but I just can't seem to make any more progress. After reading this, I feel like pushing on. The idea of Goodwill sheets is great. Thank you again for the inspiration.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:36 AM
Power Poster

You know, I think in the back of my mind I don't think I can FMQ because I'm so terrible at drawing. But you are really changing my mind..........
Old 06-26-2019, 03:38 AM

I was the same with FMQ. I struggled for over 10 years and had just decided that I would never do it. Ever! Well, I ended up getting a new sewing machine a year and a half ago, and I decided to try it again. I have never looked back. I don't know if I personally made a break through - I know that the machine I have now makes FMQ much easier. But if any of you have seen my posts on FMQ you'll see just how far I have come!!!
Old 06-26-2019, 03:38 AM

I know it's practice, practice, practice, but as soon as I put "the" quilt under the needle to free motion quilt, I tense up.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:44 AM

Wow, thanks, Schill93, your post is genuinely inspiring. My FMQ efforts thus far are still in the "pitiful" stages, and I know I need to practice more, but it gets so discouraging. I already own some really cheaply-made fabric that I only use for practice stuff -- time to get cracking!
Old 06-26-2019, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
You know, I think in the back of my mind I don't think I can FMQ because I'm so terrible at drawing. But you are really changing my mind..........
This is me, too. Let me know if you have a breakthrough!