Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts of Valor Potential Problem >

Quilts of Valor Potential Problem

Quilts of Valor Potential Problem

Old 06-29-2019, 03:32 PM

Unhappy Quilts of Valor Potential Problem

On another forum I am on, someone posted that veteran's do not want and will not use a quilt that has the American flag image on it as they feel it is against flag protocol.

I am in the process of making a QOV and have already cut 4 yards of flag fabric for my sashings, binding and back. The blocks are the standard red, white and blue. The fabric was not cheap and I'd hate to have to toss it (I am not a fan of patriotic quilts, so I wouldn't ever use it in another project.)

I am in a quandary here. To use or not use the flag fabric. I've seen other quilts with flag fabrics, but am not sure they are QOV quilts. Are there any QOV coordinators here? Is flag fabric allowed? Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:01 PM

You might start by reading up on exactly what flag protocol dictates proper use of a flag should and should not be.

https://www.usa.gov/flag
http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html
https://www.legion.org/flag/code

In addition to violating flag protocol, many veterans are uncomfortable with flag quilts because flags are draped over coffins of those who have given the ultimate sacrifice.

I think as long as you make a quilt with blocks, if doesn't look like a flag you're fine.

Last edited by Peckish; 06-29-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:11 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]614344[/ATTACH]This is the fabric. The sashing would work out to be 2" surrounding all four sides of the blocks. The actual blocks themselves are 10 inches (finished) and are red, white and blue (no flag fabrics in the blocks, just the sashing). I have decided to not use the fabric as a backing and will bind in the red fabric. Now to figure out what to do about the sashing.
Attached Thumbnails flag-fabric.jpg  
Old 06-29-2019, 04:25 PM

Ok I see now what you're saying.

I think what the other forum was trying to get across is to not make quilts that actually look like an entire American flag. Using fabric that has flag print is fine, especially if it's cut up small enough. You can see plenty of lovely examples by entering "QOV quilts" in your chosen search engine, then click "images".
Old 06-29-2019, 04:28 PM

By the way, I just checked the QOV website and there are no rules against using flag-themed fabric.

https://www.qovf.org/quilters-questi...-requirements/
Old 06-29-2019, 04:30 PM

Thanks Peckish. I just sent the local QOV coordinator the photo and she said "absolutely not going to be a problem" using this fabric. The QOV people don't want quilts that actually look like the flag (I've seen flag quilts made from apple core blocks, and others made with precuts) as this is a direct violation of flag protocol and would be offensive to service members and vets.

Thank you again!
Old 06-29-2019, 04:39 PM

I think the fabric in question is fine.

No matter what we do there is a chance someone will not appreciate something. As the daughter of a Vet (sister, niece, etc., etc.) I don't think there is a problem with flag images on fabric. Or the use of stars and stripes, either as a print or a design element. All such things have been on novelty fabrics since at least the civil war. While I myself wouldn't use one, I wouldn't think most people would have no problems with a flag applique/embroidery like you'd have on a shirt or a pin either.

But no actually cutting up a flag or using one for a back, even a print 100% cotton one.

And there are some veterans who aren't necessarily feeling all rah-rah red, white and blue but that's a different issue.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
By the way, I just checked the QOV website and there are no rules against using flag-themed fabric.

https://www.qovf.org/quilters-questi...-requirements/
thank you! I was sweating this too.
Old 06-30-2019, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
On another forum I am on, someone posted that veteran's do not want and will not use a quilt that has the American flag image on it as they feel it is against flag protocol.

Thanks in advance.
Consider the source. Just because someone posted the information doesn't mean it is true for everyone. It is impossible to always predict personal preferences when we gift a quilt. Your intentions are good and come from the heart.

Glad you were able to get a reasonable response about the fabric. It's pretty!
Old 06-30-2019, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
...And there are some veterans who aren't necessarily feeling all rah-rah red, white and blue but that's a different issue.
Yes, I'm all for giving veterans a quilt but am turned off by all the rah-rah red, white and blue too. I sometimes wonder how many of them just put such an over the top quilt in the closet rather than use it.