phrases that puzzle me

Old 12-02-2009, 10:22 AM

When you have an "ah ha!!!" moment....Bob's your uncle, Fanny's your aunt, and the bus is by the door.

LOL
Old 12-02-2009, 10:30 AM

Never really understood this one.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:37 AM

I used to work for a nonprofit organization that worked with gang members. Two gang members were helping us move to a different office. I was asked to return my key to the old office building. The 2 guys helping were so shocked and wondered what I was doing with a ki (kilo).
Old 12-02-2009, 10:40 AM

My DSIL is British, and when he first introduced my daughter to his family, he played a mean trick on her. She had been saying things like "working her fanny off" or "wearing a fanny pack", etc. Every time she said the word "fanny", her future MIL would cringe and make a face. She found out later that the word "fanny" which means "bottom" here in the states, is actually the "front part of the female anatomy" in England. She was so embarrassed when she found out... :oops:
Another thing she did when visiting over there--they were having drinks and her future FIL asked her if she would like a "top up" on her drink. We say "top off" the drink, meaning to refill it. When she finally wanted more drink in her glass, she told him she was ready to take her "top off" now. Eyebrows were raised...! She has many more stories like this one. They provide some fun conversations for us! :lol:
Old 12-02-2009, 01:11 PM

Gesundheit is German for God Bless You.

My sister says this about me: "Ask her what time it is and she'll tell you how to build a clock." "Get to the point"! Anothr one is "I only chew my cabbage once." In other words I don't repeat myself.

This has been a fun day reading all of this. Had to take time out to go to the dermatology clinic and my husband had to have two basal cell carcinomas removed. One was three layers deep, on his forehead. He's clean now. Hurts like heck, but he's fine.

So these phrases really made my day! Thanks!

Edie
Old 12-02-2009, 01:23 PM

my dad used to say sodie pop
Old 12-02-2009, 01:31 PM

The most annoying comment to me is "I can't Thank you enough.".

Just Thank me once- a real Thank you and I'm happy with that.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by bluebird
Not a saying but notice how folks are using errrr, ugh, duh, or hmmm every three or four words, drives me batty!
I used to type up the minutes from Board of Education meetings when I was Secretary to the Board. We had one Trustee who used to say "ahhh" all the time. One time I was so sick of hearing it that I actually included all his "ahhh"'s in the minutes, just to make a point. He was the talkative one who always had something to say about everything that was on the agenda. I think he actually used that to fill in the pauses so no one could interrupt him. The Board all had a good chuckle but the Superintendent made me remove them.

My FIL used to say: sh*# and 2 make 4
I never did understand that one.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
I used to work for a nonprofit organization that worked with gang members. Two gang members were helping us move to a different office. I was asked to return my key to the old office building. The 2 guys helping were so shocked and wondered what I was doing with a ki (kilo).
LMAO! I have to wonder what they called a key.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Loretta
Rhonda, that is really interesting about the crick and creek. I have not heard that before! Do you think that was a local meaning or something from his parents?
I looked it up online just now and the explanation is the same. It lists crick as an add on and when I followed the link it says a crick is often used to denote a creek that is a mere trickle of water. It says it is often confused as interchangeable with creek. I paraphrased a bit as this was a copyright and I didn't want to offend.

Our crick was deeper than 6 ft I know at least in places but it is about 5 foot across. Not big but not drying up either.

My cousin Jim and I used to wander the timber. There was a crick there that was so clear you could see the pebbles in the bottom. It was only a few inches deep and about 2 or 3 ft wide. You could see the small fish in it and we used to wade in it all the time. We would take sticks and leaves and make small boats and sail them down the crick. You do have to be carefull of slick rocks because it isn't fun to slip on them. It really hurts to come down on those rocks. You also have to watch for snakes which is not my favorite thing in life!

Sorry got to reminiscing! There was also a crick that ran through the park where the swimming pool is in town. After lessons we used to wade in it also and play in the water while we waited on moms. They have a small replica of a mill in that crick also which is interesting to watch it turn the wheel.