Phonics - for English - only goes so far

think of all the words that end in "ough"

rough, through, bough, enough, cough, dough
Old 12-03-2009, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Phonics - for English - only goes so far

think of all the words that end in "ough"

rough, through, bough, enough, cough, dough
I once had and english teacher tell us that the english language is difficult to learn because of those strange combinations that sound like another letter that could have been used instead.

GHOTI ,with the sounds and combinations actually spells 'fish'

we see gh sounding like f (cough), o sounding like i pretty often but I can't think of anything off the top of my head, and ti sounding like sh (commotion)... can be very confusing!
Old 12-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

When I got married my husband would use learn in place of teach and my MIL said it too. I'm going to learn you to do this. I have complained so much over the years I don't think they do it so much anymore. It is bad grammer but it was passed down through the family that way.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

Mostly I think the strange spellings are strange to us because those spellings come from another language and were incorporated into our English.

I have always been fascinated with this subject and I did a term paper in APE (advanced placement english) in high school on the affect on the language the celts had and the other conguering tribes and countries on England's language. It started as far back as that as for words being added to the English language. when you look at a dictionary a lot of them will give you the origin of the word or phrase. I find it really interesting to understand how we acquired the words we use everday.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

Another thing that fascinates me about our language is the phrases that become a part of our everyday language that comes from TV and movies. I hear the term McGyverism used alot lately or I am going to McGyver this thing til it works. MacGyver was a TV show where Richard Dean Anderson played an agent(McGyver or Mac) who always had a way to make what he needed to get out of a jam. A lot of sciece and scrounging whatever was handy.(or what the prop guy made sure was handy! LOL)

I hear diferant phrases and I think yep I remember that show.

When my dad had to make something do on the car he would call it jerry rigging.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by nellebelles
My DSIL is British, and when he first introduced my daughter to his family, he played a mean trick on her. She had been saying things like "working her fanny off" or "wearing a fanny pack", etc. Every time she said the word "fanny", her future MIL would cringe and make a face. She found out later that the word "fanny" which means "bottom" here in the states, is actually the "front part of the female anatomy" in England. She was so embarrassed when she found out... :oops:
Another thing she did when visiting over there--they were having drinks and her future FIL asked her if she would like a "top up" on her drink. We say "top off" the drink, meaning to refill it. When she finally wanted more drink in her glass, she told him she was ready to take her "top off" now. Eyebrows were raised...! She has many more stories like this one. They provide some fun conversations for us! :lol:
OMG! Too funny! My dad was stationed in England when I was a baby and my mom tells the story of how she was at a dinner party (this was in the 60's) and she asked for a napkin. Well, according to her, everyone busted out in laughter because in England a nappy is a diaper and that's what they thought she was asking for!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Old 12-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

I am so enjoying what everyone's been writing on this thread.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Power Poster

Just see what you started Sharon?? LOL so glad you did! It has been so much fun! Languages and why we say what we do has been a fascination of mine for years! I hear people say things and I wonder! Thanks for bringing this up! This has been a really fun thread!
Old 12-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Power Poster

My MIL would say this every so often -

"Oh, dear, bread and beer,
If I wouldn't be married,
I wouldn't be here."

Looking at her life from my perspective now, I have a lot more respect and empathy for her.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:33 PM

LOL, bear! The brick ----house was/is a favorite of one of my brothers to describe anything huge!