Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt & Pattern sizes >

Quilt & Pattern sizes

Quilt & Pattern sizes

Old 07-02-2019, 09:30 AM

Default Quilt & Pattern sizes

In a recent email from a popular quilt site (AQS if I'm allowed to say that), there were 7 different beautiful quilts that you could buy the quilt kit or just the pattern. All but one were of a size less than 75" long, and most were sizes like 48x48 or 50x50 or 60x60, even 60x70 or 72x72. You get the idea. So my question is this... those seem too big for a wall hanging, but too small for even a twin bed (standard mattress is 75" long), so what is the use of those quilts. I get frustrated when I see a pattern I would love to make, but the size is strange. And, no, none of those quilts looked like adding borders to make it a bed size would work. Yup, I'm confused!
Old 07-02-2019, 09:54 AM

I wonder about that too. Unless you have a large vaulted ceiling some of those quilts would not be that useful as art or a bed quilt. I have a number of patterns here like that.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:55 AM

It is confusing.

I look at pattern sizes and try to find one that fits without adjustments. There are so many other choices in the quilting world it's easy for me to move on. Yes, patterns can be adjusted but that often leads me to other problems and frustrations. So why re-invent the wheel?

Hope you find the perfect pattern!
Old 07-02-2019, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

Yes, lately they just have people's quilts. not bed sizes. you must alter pattern if you want certain sizes. not all designers do this though, so be choosy. (sp).
Old 07-02-2019, 11:10 AM

Some people use the smaller quilts (48x48) for play mats for their kids. I've made a few that where 60x70 and used them as lap quilts.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

Lap quilts! My group makes those smallish sizes to donate to our local hospital. People in wheelchairs use them.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

I use most of those sizes all the time. I fold them at the end of a couch and they're ready to cover me if I need a nap. Some of them cover a table nicely. And they're great for children (or adults) playing on the floor.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

I too get aggravated when I go through one of my quilt bools and see tiny quilts. Most of my donation quilts are about 43" x 58 or 57". They are for kids. I use batting for crib size 45" x 60".
Old 07-02-2019, 03:23 PM

I have an intense dislike for square quilts. When I like a square pattern, I look to see if it can be on point in a larger rectangular quilt. It takes extra on the ends and can be challenging to come up with a pattern that fits in with the original. It's easy to balance a square. Harder to balance a rectangle.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
I have an intense dislike for square quilts. When I like a square pattern, I look to see if it can be on point in a larger rectangular quilt. It takes extra on the ends and can be challenging to come up with a pattern that fits in with the original. It's easy to balance a square. Harder to balance a rectangle.
And I prefer square quilts. I like the symmetry, they fit my beds better, and I don't have to figure out which way they go. To each her own.