Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help with 3D bow tie >

help with 3D bow tie

help with 3D bow tie

Old 07-03-2019, 05:23 AM

Default help with 3D bow tie

Looking for tips on how to keep from catching the loop of the tie in the seam. I thought this would be easy but it gets caught so the ripper and I are getting well acquainted for no more difficult that this block should be! Anybody with experience to help will be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-03-2019, 06:09 AM

Sorry I can't help but I would like to see a photo of the 3D bow tie block. It sound interesting...i just googled it- is your trouble when you quilt it or piece it?

Last edited by toogie; 07-03-2019 at 06:21 AM.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:42 AM

I recently finished making a 3-d bow tie for my niece's graduation. Since I am still working on the back the only thing I can show you is a not so good pic of the wrinkled top. I pined all 3 points. The middle where the seams met at at each end of the dimensional middle of the block. I found that pinning made it much easier and my accuracy was close to perfect on each block. Here is a link to a good video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVdfuGgtHf8 . Here is a pic of the quilt I am still working on.
Attached Thumbnails 3d-bow-tie.jpg  
Old 07-03-2019, 08:59 AM

I love listening to this demonstrator but she didn't address how to keep that bias knot from getting into the seam allowance. She did put a finger into that to hold it out but didn't address the need for that. I'm learning!! It is certainly a quick block, much better than the traditional way. One tip I can pass along. I'm working with men's shirts. If you are working with stripes and want the knot to go the same way as the ends of the tie, turn that folded piece the opposite way and it will turn out well. (The 5" blocks would have the stripe north/south and the folded one goes east/west.)
Old 07-03-2019, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

https://www.generations-quilt-patter...ilt-block.html
Old 07-03-2019, 04:47 PM

I started one of these to use up scraps. I decided a small lap quilt was enough. I found that I could stitch to the center seam. Then stop with needle down and adjust the knot and had to sort of twist the blocks to line up for the rest of the seam. Yep, the small quilt was enough to get that one off my bucket list
Old 07-03-2019, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

I used wash away fusible to hold them down flat. Then I washed it away.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:35 AM

Excellent tute! The spot that has me frustrated is when the "knot" forms that little pocket. See how that bias tends to get up in the way? It easily gets caught in the last seam. That's the most difficult part of this block. Otherwise it is one of the quickest ones I've ever done. (ripping out not counted)
Old 07-04-2019, 03:48 AM

I have made a 3D bow tie quilt and didn't have problems sewing things together but I did mine differently that the tutorial listed above. Sorry but I don't have a picture to share.
Here is the method I used. There is hand sewing involved but that is what I liked about it. It was a project I could start away from the machine and then when my blocks were done I assembled the quilt top on the machine.

http://mylifeisastitch.<wbr>blogspot.com/2011/12/fabric-<wbr>folding-one-bow-tie-obsessed.<wbr>html

I know this doesn't help with the question asked but for those of you who might like to make a 3D bow tie quilt this is another option that doesn't have seam issues.

Old 07-05-2019, 07:07 AM

I used the same method as citruscountyquilter, and made them all on a road trip to CT and back. As the tute says, they are addicting. Here is my quilt using 1 charm pack and plain white sqs.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]614545[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]614546[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscf4988.jpg   dscf5021.jpg