Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Serger Thread for Machine Quilting? >

Serger Thread for Machine Quilting?

Serger Thread for Machine Quilting?

Old 07-06-2019, 02:27 PM

Default Serger Thread for Machine Quilting?

I don't have a serger nor much experience with thread varieties. But I saw a local FB ad for many spools of brand new Talon Sure-lock Serger Thread for $25 and wondering if I can use it for machine quilting?

Pros? Cons?
Old 07-06-2019, 02:49 PM
Power Poster

I have been using some Maxi-Lock (Swirls) serger thread with few issues. I match bobbin thread to top thread and do a sample stitching first. If the sample stitching doesn't hold tension, I make a note and don't try it again. I'm trying to use up thread I have on hand. I mistakenly bought Madiera serger thread instead of Aero-Quilt, although it was a lighter weight I saw no issues with it. Years ago I bought some serger thread at Wmart...can't remember the brand, but think it was Talon and it was a terrible thread and never bought it again.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

Serger thread is not very strong used alone as it is suppose to be used with two or more spools in the serger. The thread will probably work fine in most machines but the stitches will be weak. Not worth the little savings to use it as piecing or quilting thread.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:17 PM

I know some people who use Maxilock serger thread exclusively. I've used it a few times. What makes serger thread, "serger thread," is that it's only 2 strands of thread twisted together. Our regular sewing and quilting thread has a core of cotton or polyester, with cotton or polyester wrapped around the core. I probably wouldn't use it for a quilt that will be loved to death. But I'll use it for some quilts.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:00 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll pass on the deal. I want all my quilts to be loved to death, and to live as long as the thread holds.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:01 AM

Serger thread for quilting will not last unless your quilt is hung on a wall.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I’ll pass on the deal. I want all my quilts to be loved to death, and to live as long as the thread holds.
I second that. I might use serger thread for a seam if it was the only matching color I had, but it doesnt have the strength of quilting thread as it's 2 ply. It must be thinner as its used with up to 7 other spools and would be bulky in that setting. stick with standard thread for quilting.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:29 AM
Power Poster

I have been using serger thread lately for FMQ and my machine has no problems with it. I tried to break it but I couldn’t. Many people use it successfully. I googled and read the opinions. So far everything has quilted up nicely and has been washed and dried with no issues. It is much cheaper too
Old 07-07-2019, 06:22 AM

I have a serger as well. When I had the lessons to use it, we were told never use serger thread in your sewing machine. Serger thread is too fine & produces too much lint!
Old 07-07-2019, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

The best quality basic thread is made from long staple Egyptian cotton. Many threads are made by twisting the ends of left over pieces of thread together. That makes it weaker and cheaper to make. If you look at thread closely and can see flubs then don't use it in your high end machines. The older vintage machines didn't mind flubs or lint. The thread guides were outside so most of the lint was taken away in the air not enclosed guides like the newer machines.