Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machine Needles >

Sewing Machine Needles

Sewing Machine Needles

Old 07-08-2019, 12:37 PM

Default Sewing Machine Needles

Hi, I need some advice regarding the disposal - or resharpening - of sewing machine needles. I'm reluctant to put them in the trash/landfill so I thought I would ask you all - What method do you use to discard sewing machine needles? Thanks for your help.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:47 PM
Power Poster

How do you dispose of other sharps, eg. shaving blades, etc?
Likewise, what are you doing with your rotary blades??

It might be best to check on what the regulations are for such, in your municipality.

Many keep a pill bottle and put them into it.

For me ....
I have a piggy bank that I "deposit" any needles, pins and rotary blades that are beyond use.
It'll be a long time before it will be filled .... and I have to figure out what to do with it then!
Old 07-08-2019, 12:48 PM

I put dull or broken needles of any sort in my husband's 'sharps' container. Not having one of those, you could put them in a metal or plastic container, like a prescription meds one with screw-on lid, and when full, put in trash.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:08 PM

I use a few sticky notes. Blue painters tape to hold the needle or rotary blade on the note. Tape well. Old crystal lite containers hold the used discards. The container is taped shut when it is time to put in the trash.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:19 PM

Thank you all. Your ideas are great and you solved my problem. I was having a brain freeze and you all helped it back into gear !
Old 07-08-2019, 01:54 PM

I save my dull or broken needles in a pill bottle and take them with me when I have a drs. appointment and they put them in with their waste needles.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:37 PM

I put painters tape on my blades. People look at me strangely sometimes on why I have a roll of it in my sewing kit but I use it a lot in a lot of different ways. Painters tape and parchment paper -- can't hardly quilt without them!

I also have a sharps container for my testing supplies. In my area I am to fill a pop or similar bottle and then tape the cap on and put in my trash. In other nearby communities they don't allow that and want them to go to sharps disposals, which are often at pharmacies. (We also are supposed to take our new-fangled used lightbulbs to most home improvement stores, and Goodwill has a contract to accept dead appliances). If they are going to require us to properly dispose of stuff it works a lot easier if they make it easy like the stores accepting items.

And like SueZQ says, my doctor never minds if I have a couple extras sharps to dispose of at our meetings (it's usually where I clean out my traveling kit). I don't think most offices would flinch at a pill bottle full of whatever.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
..........Painters tape and parchment paper -- can't hardly quilt without them!..............
Totallllllly Agreeeeeeeeee!!!

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
...........my doctor never minds if I have a couple extras sharps to dispose of at our meetings (it's usually where I clean out my traveling kit). I don't think most offices would flinch at a pill bottle full of whatever.
Good that they will accept them .... However it is best to verify first, rather than assume.

I have found that many medical sharps programs will not accept anything but medical sharps!
Old 07-08-2019, 03:02 PM

I use an empty Kraft parmesan cheese dispenser. The large flap in the lid will accept my blades and like QuiltE it will be a long time before it is full.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:40 AM

I usually purchase Schmetz needles that come in a hard plastic box. I save the old box, mark an X on the front, then put the old needles in there. It's nice and small and doesn't take much room in my sewing gear. I like the piggy bank idea if would look cute in my sewing nook.

Bonnie