Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Repurposing non-quilting items >

Repurposing non-quilting items

Repurposing non-quilting items

Old 07-25-2019, 09:02 AM

In addition to some of the items already listed, I use Crystal Light containers (the tall outside packaging) as holders for rippers small rulers and small scissors next to my machine. I also use the large prescription pill bottles to hold glue sticks. They fit perfectly inside and do not dry out!!
Old 07-25-2019, 12:19 PM

Empty cd container, the one that has a post in the center, to set thread cones for use in the machine and binder clips attached to the machine to putvthread thru. Some food carry out containers to carry any special notions to retreats.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:28 PM

-an empty gift wrap roll to put between ironing table and wall to keep little things from falling through gap
-empty disposable water bottle to hold old needles and bent pins
-Dollar Store mini aluminum buckets hung on pegboard to store measuring tapes, rotary blade packs, scotch tape,
marking utensils
-skirt hangers to hang ironed WIPS in closet
Old 07-25-2019, 01:29 PM

Default Second Use:

Originally Posted by AStitchInTime View Post
In addition to many of the items already mentioned, I also have:
Painter's Tape
5lb dumbbell weight
Large condiment dispenser bottles for refilling the iron (less trips the kitchen for water)
Artist paintbrushes for lit removal
Clean parmesan cheese container for dull needles & blades
I use the Parmesan cheese container for my sharpie pens. It keeps the permanent markers safely separate from water based pens.
Old heavy tall vases are my favorite find -- they sit firmly and hold my scissor assortment. Smaller, shorter vases are good for my rotary cutters and smaller scissors.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:42 PM

When I need to cut a lot of pieces the same size, I mark the measurement line on my ruler with automotive trim tape. It comes in 1/32", 1/16", 1/8" and 1/4" widths, and a number of colors. I can always see the line clearly and quickly no matter what color the fabric is.

I use a wall paper seam roller to "finger press" seams open so they don't stretch.

I have been sewing for years, but am a newbie to quilting, so if I am not sure how certain fabric combos will look together in a project, I photocopy each fabric and cut out paper pieces for a block. If I like it, I cut the fabric, if I don't, I either change around the colors within the square, or bring in a new color.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
-skirt hangers to hang ironed WIPS in closet
Brilliant idea that I will copy please. At the moment i have a pile of them neatly folded, but they do get creased again.

I do use a couple to hang flimsies from a double interior door frame to decide upon quilting ideas though.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:15 AM

I re purpose the clear containers from the grocery store. I like that I can write on them with a permanent marker. When working on a project, I keep all the thread spools and bobbins together in 1 until the project is done. The clear egg containers hold my embroidery threads. I store left-over binding strips for scrappy binding on future projects. The sky is the limit on ideas to use these clear containers.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:20 AM

A small hammer to beat thick seams into submission. When making pillow cases with accent and French seams, that are can be a bit bulky, just a few good whacks with a hammer can flatten so it runs through the sewing machine smoothly. Plus many of the items already mentioned by other clever quilters.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:10 AM

I mentioned some items I use in my sewing room but forgot to mention the magnetic bars with cabinet knobs on either end that I use on the belly bar as I like to float my quilts. I also use the empty TP cardboard rollers to keep my bindings rolled up until I'm ready for them. I added a TP holder above my pressing station where I place my filled roller on it and let it roll out as I glue the binding to my quilt top. I use Elmer's Glue for this method.

So many items folks have mentioned. Its great that we can share our ideas with each other.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:36 AM

I use an old baby changing table to hold baskets of patterns, supplies, scraps, and bolts of fabrics. I have an old office desk that I use for a cutting table. My husband nailed a piece of plywood on the top of it leaving a 2 inch gap in between the top of the desk and the plywood using 2 by 4's. I slide a cookie sheet, holding rotary cutters, blades, marking pencils, etc, in between the two surfaces. Long rulers also are stored there. An old China cabinet holds fabrics. A small bookshelf was converted to make my sewing table into an L shaped station by nailing plywood to the top to enlarge it. I use a hide-a-bed couch as my design "wall". An old bar turned backwards holds plastic ArtBin boxes for holding completed blocks, block of the month kits, etc.

Last edited by janjanq; 07-26-2019 at 05:39 AM.