Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Ever get arm burns from the oven rack? >

Ever get arm burns from the oven rack?

Ever get arm burns from the oven rack?

Old 08-25-2019, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

Default Ever get arm burns from the oven rack?

I hate to get kitchen burns. I saw these at Amazon and bought some. They are great and very affordable. They come in packages of three. No instructions but I figured out that cutting the third one in half covered the two oven rack edges using one long and one half. I'm buying another package for my toaster oven. I'm always getting burned on that rack. BESEGO Oven Rack Shields, Heat Resistant Silicone Oven Rack Cover Prevent Hand & Arm against Burns, Scars & Injuries - BPA Free & FDA Approved - 14 Inches Long (3Pcs Black)

They have been on my oven for a few weeks and so far work great. They twist on and twist off easy for self clean cycle. Don't forget to take them off for that. LOL
Old 08-25-2019, 08:00 AM

My Grandson made me a nifty wooden tool in wood-shop last year. You use it to pull the rack out to check on food or when you preheat the oven. I will take a photo of it in a bit.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:30 AM

Wow, I've never seen those before. Looks like a must for the kitchen oven racks. Gosh, I sure learn a lot on this "quilting board".
Old 08-25-2019, 09:07 AM

These are interesting gadgets for the oven. Let us know what you think of them if you do purchase them. I could do with a few less oven burns.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

​Look nifty but I buy the extra long barbecue mitts.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:06 AM

I have had them for years and love them!
Old 08-25-2019, 11:43 AM

I haven't seen those, before but for those of us who don't have them or do and still get burns, this is a great tip for dealing with the burns. As soon as possible after burning yourself, crack a raw egg open. Discard or use the yolk in something else. Use a fork to break the egg white apart and start applying the egg white to the burn. Repeat as often as you want to. Just add more egg white on top of that which is already there. At first, it doesn't seem to be doing any good and the burn itself will still cause you pain. But within an hour or two, you will notice a difference. Often, by the next morning, you will hardly be able to tell you got burned. My daughter used this method about 5 hours after she got a bad burn from the oven. I wasn't sure if it would work after that length of time. She put the egg white on there several times that night before going to bed and was amazed that the burn was almost non-existent by the next morning.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

I use a prescription Silvardene cream for burns. Stops the pain of burns and sunburn. I keep a small tub of it in the fridge. Dr. prescribed it when DH use to get welding burns. I get a fresh container every two years. My kids keep some in their fridge too.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​Look nifty but I buy the extra long barbecue mitts.
I never can find mitts that fit my hands so I could have control over a hot dish. Accident waiting to happen for me using big mitts.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:40 PM

I ordered a set of these. I burned my arm Saturday taking a casserole out of the oven. I agree with the big mitts not fitting my hands making them hard to grasp and hold anything.