Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice on quilting my top >

Advice on quilting my top

Advice on quilting my top

Old 09-07-2019, 03:19 AM

I use my walking foot to quilt all the time. I find free motion too stressful, especially with a bed-sized quilt. The first thing I would do is use some wash-away thread to anchor the quilt - stitch straight down the middle each way. Then your easiest options might be to do a diagonal grid both ways, or to stitch straight lines across the white/black spaces up and down, or to stitch very gentle curves across or down. I highly recommend Leah Day's book "Walking Foot Quilting" - it will give you confidence. After you finish quilting and binding, wash your quilt to get rid of the anchor stitching.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:31 AM

Beautiful top. Just don't get paralyzed by all the quilting choices, pick your pattern and go with it. Please post to show finished quilt and most of all, have fun!
Old 09-07-2019, 03:38 AM
Power Poster

I love your quilt!!! It's beautiful. I'm not too good with designs though.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:23 AM

I love your quilt top! I agree with Tartan, orange peel.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:29 AM

Beautiful quilt. However you quilt it will be nice. Please show us when you finish. I am sort of “chicken”, I take my big quilts to a LA quilter.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltMom2 View Post
Beautiful top. Just don't get paralyzed by all the quilting choices, pick your pattern and go with it. Please post to show finished quilt and most of all, have fun!
I agree...it is colorful and fun and it will look great with almost any quilting you are comfortable with. Good luck and don’t forget to post a finished photo.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:19 AM

That top is really pretty! I'm not sure what you consider mistakes, but it looks awesome! I can't wait to see what you quilt on it.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:46 AM

Beautiful top!
Old 09-07-2019, 11:08 AM

Thank you for all the replies! The pattern came off moda bakeshop; the example quilt was quilted with an orange peel design which I liked a lot, until I saw a close up picture of how the curved line clipped the nine square blocks at an odd angle. I really like the shape of the white blocks once the curves were placed,but there was still a big empty white space in the center of each block.

I wonder what it would look like if I shadowed the original orange peel line in just the white squares, to take up a little more space?

I did crosshatching on my last project, a small bow tie quilt. It turned out really well. I think here it might make the diagonal lines of the quilt emphasized....but I also think it would really bring out the biggest mistakes in the quilt, which is none of the points line up very well. I had a scant quarter inch seam down on my old machine, but when I tried to do it the way the dealer showed me for the new one, I got very inconsistent results. Some of the points where I joined rows together are off more than a quarter inch, and if I pulled it apart to correct the mistakes I would never finish it a second time. I know my limits, and re-piecing a queen sized quilt over such a simple mistake would keep me from finishing this project for years!

I really like the stars you drew on the white, @quiltedsunshine. If I were a little more confident with my FMQ I would totally go for one of those.

I sat down and played on my machine this morning with some scraps and my walking foot, playing with some of the decorative stitches. There is a curved one I really like the looks of, but it might be a little too modern for what I want for this quilt.

Right now I am leaning towards trying the orange peel, (might as well get a few more firsts in this quilt, right?) and still researching other options.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, book recommendations, and ideas. I still haven't made up my mind, but you have given me a lot to think about!
Old 09-07-2019, 12:23 PM
Power Poster

Just know it is beautiful.