Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need help! t shirt quilt logos get very tacky or sticky >

need help! t shirt quilt logos get very tacky or sticky

need help! t shirt quilt logos get very tacky or sticky

Old 10-09-2019, 05:23 AM

Default need help! t shirt quilt logos get very tacky or sticky

I am making a t shirt quilt for a friend that lost her husband. While ironing on the interfacing, the heat from the iron made one of the thick "rubbery" logos get very tacky or sticky to the touch. I didn't notice it until the quilt was already together so replacing the square is not an option. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting rid of that stickiness? Thanks
I'm not even sure I am posting this right too
Old 10-09-2019, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

ouch, never iron directly over those logo's. I can't think of any solution at the moment. Good luck.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:56 AM

First of all Welcome to the QB! How long ago did you heat it? Usually rubber needs to be cooled off completely so it is not tacky. In this instance I would put the quilt in the freezer for a few hours and see if this helps. For future reference you should use a sturdy bayberry cloth or light towel over t shirts when pressing. Or on the ironing board if applying your interfacing on to the back.
I am not sure that putting it in the freezer then letting it thaw will take care of the problem but the complete cooling should help. Maybe someone here will have a better idea. And yes you did it right, posting that is. Welcome aboard.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:04 AM

Welcome to the board so sorry you had to come with a problem that might be hard to try and fix. First off, does it stay tacky all the time or just when hot?

Do you have any leftover from that shirt or do you wish to try risking your iron to get it to happen on another piece?

On my samples, I'd try my standards -- nail polish remover for try one, and peanut butter for try two... then testing the fabric first, WD40 for try three, is amazing what that stuff can fix. If I couldn't get a good fix with those the last fix would be a piece of bridal illusion netting over the logo. You can either cover the whole square or cut it out around the logo and zig zag it down and make it look deliberate. Will probably still attract pet hair and have some sticky to it but is possible.

Use a clean hand towel for rubbing in whatever you try. Paper towel will shred and stick to the sticky. Check the towel frequently (as well as where you are rubbing) to see what (if anything) is coming off and the effect on the logo.

Even though the quilt is together you can place another piece of fabric over the problem piece, either a different one or maybe put a label or memorial there. Blind stitch it into the seams and then quilt over. If you had to, you could even hand quilt from the back over the existing quilting pattern, but many of us have had to take out substantial amounts of quilting to redo before and in that case, might as well put in a new block if you have one.

Most likely after whatever treatment you will have to give it a washing before giving it. That alone might solve the problem or it might make it worse and the sticky will attract lint.

If this is any consolation at all, I once made a quilt for a friend with an unstable maroon fabric that turned the sophisticated blue, silver, grey and maroon quilt with sparkles of white with non-sparkles of baby pink. And to make matters worse, some poly-blend whites made it in and they did stay bright and sparkling. My friend, because she was a true friend, said -- oh look, a quilt I can feel good about drinking grape juice in bed.

PS: Accidents happen and it can be hard on us when it is our fault. But you are doing a kind thing and memories are still there in the quilt. Some of us have loved ones that are a bit difficult and might even appreciate them still being difficult in the quilt.

Best of luck and don't feel too bad.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 10-09-2019 at 06:14 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

I might put a little baby powder on my finger and touch it to the rubbery surface. If that seems to help, I would go a fine paint brush, dip it in baby powder, shake most of it off and “ paint “ the blocks surface.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

I would take it to a local screen printing shop and ask for advice.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:45 AM

Thanks for information, I ironed everything about 3 weeks ago and didn't notice it until I was sewing my last block. That's when I noticed it was tacky to the touch. I will try the freezer and see if it helps. Thanks
Old 10-09-2019, 09:49 AM

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions, I will try them all, or at least until I find the one that works...I appreciate all your answers and willingness to help.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:47 AM

Did someone suggest putting sparkles or something else pretty on the sticky area to liven it up and take care of the problem?
Old 10-10-2019, 06:19 PM

If you have any of that shirt left (another part of the shirt with the same ink that you didn’t use in the quilt)... iron it the same way & make it tacky then test talc, baby powder, etc. to see if you can solve the issue.... good luck