Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
marking a quilt >

marking a quilt

marking a quilt

Old 10-11-2019, 01:16 PM

Default marking a quilt

Please help I need help marking. Can anyone tell me something that works and will come out. Just marked with cream colored chalk and don't think it will come out. It is a white and pink fabric. Want to get some more marking done and quilting. will be having some more surgery and would like to get this quilt done.
thanks so much
Old 10-11-2019, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

For marking light fabric I use the water soluble blue pens like mark b gone more than anything else. The trick to these pens is to test, don't expose to heat and don't leave on the quilt too long (like months and months). Also the ink from these pens is never truly gone until the quilt has been completely submerged in water. The do disappear with spritzing but can come back because spritzing only disolves the ink down into the batting as the batting drys from the spritzing the marks can return or bleeds of blue ink can show up. Never had a problem once the quilt was laundered. First wash no soap. Soaps can react with the inks. I have also had great luck with crayola ultra washable markers. Again, test on the actual fabric you are using. Especially if the fabric has not been prewashed as factory sizing can impact how the ink reacts and can also affect how it washes out. I have ironed over the Crayola and it still washes out. These two are my go-tos for marking light fabrics. I use chalk on dark fabrics as well as the ceramic lead mechanical pencils like the Bohin one. They do make a darker lead for those but I have never tried it. But I have had those marks rub out before I got to quilting them. I could see the line faintly and it was enough to remark as I went but frustrating. There are so many options you just have to test things to see what works well for you and something that you had great success with before, may not work as well the next time, that is why you need to always test.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:00 PM

Those are great tips Feline Fanatic. I'm keeping a copy.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:28 PM

crayola washable markers are awesome! The only problem that I have had is that they don't show up on black fabric
Old 10-11-2019, 03:47 PM

mark b gone blue ink, but even the sun will set it in. No heat at all. One section at a time and spritz with cold water. Feline fanatic explained everything well. Dark colors, just white chalk
Old 10-11-2019, 08:46 PM
Power Poster

Some of the new chalk pencils seem like they contain wax or something that makes them hard to remove. I use crayola white chalk that I sharpen to a point for marking dark fabrics. On light fabric I use the blue water soluble pens. Always try your marking on a scrap of fabric before marking your quilt.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:08 AM

I do the same.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:59 AM

I've been using tailors chalk and it comes out just fine after washing.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:41 PM

When marking on dark fabrics, I really like white "charcoal" pencils better than chalk pencils. They sharpen to a finer point, and I use a rubber nubby or lint brush to brush them away.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:42 AM

Great tips...I just purchased a new blue Mark b gone as my other one finally dried out. I’ll have to give the Crayola markers a try.