Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Pork - Slow Cooker Recipes wanted! >

Pork - Slow Cooker Recipes wanted!

Pork - Slow Cooker Recipes wanted!

Old 11-17-2019, 09:55 AM

Default Pork - Slow Cooker Recipes wanted!

‘Tis the season - for using the slow cooker!

I love cooking pork in my slow cooker but have made my favourite recipe once too often. It’s a really easy one - which is probably why I like it so much. I use the cheaper cuts of pork and it is cooked in a tin of chopped tomatoes, an onion, sliced peppers and seasoning of your choice. It’s so easy to prepare and is very tasty.

But I would love to make some different pork dishes. I know I can do a google search but wondered if anyone here has a favourite they would like to share?
Old 11-17-2019, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

We've made mini tacos (using 6-inch flour shells) with slow baked pork - pulled apart.

The only seasoning I've added is salt - but I think the taco place we first bought them added something else - but I have not figured out what .

Served with chopped onion, fresh chopped cilantro, and salsa verde (green salsa).
Old 11-17-2019, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
We've made mini tacos (using 6-inch flour shells) with slow baked pork - pulled apart.

The only seasoning I've added is salt - but I think the taco place we first bought them added something else - but I have not figured out what .

Served with chopped onion, fresh chopped cilantro, and salsa verde (green salsa).
I would enjoy that - but my husband’s not a taco fan.

Thanks anyway!
Old 11-17-2019, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

Your husband might enjoy doing a pork roast like a beef pot roast. Cook the roast in some chicken stock and add potatoes/ carrots/ onions later. The roast and stock can be used the next day for soup or stew.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Moira in N.E. England View Post
I would enjoy that - but my husband’s not a taco fan.

Thanks anyway!
Call it a wrap instead of a taco.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Your husband might enjoy doing a pork roast like a beef pot roast. Cook the roast in some chicken stock and add potatoes/ carrots/ onions later. The roast and stock can be used the next day for soup or stew.
That sounds tasty and easy - thanks!
Old 11-17-2019, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

I love to make pulled pork in the crock pot. You can use any cut you like but I think it comes out best when done with a pork shoulder roast (aka butt roast). Rub the roast all over with liquid smoke. I never measure, a couple of generous splashes of it, I think about a 1 or two tsp worth. You can put a rub on it at this stage as well but I rarely do. Cook on low 8 to 10 hours. Remove roast and shred it and mix with your favorite bbq sauce. Add more liquid smoke to taste. This also freezes very well which is good because it is just 2 of us and one roast makes enough for at least 4 meals for us. I like to serve it with all the traditonal BBQ sides, corn bread, slow cooked collards and baked beans. It is like having a little summer in the middle of winter.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I love to make pulled pork in the crock pot. You can use any cut you like but I think it comes out best when done with a pork shoulder roast (aka butt roast). Rub the roast all over with liquid smoke. I never measure, a couple of generous splashes of it, I think about a 1 or two tsp worth. You can put a rub on it at this stage as well but I rarely do. Cook on low 8 to 10 hours. Remove roast and shred it and mix with your favorite bbq sauce. Add more liquid smoke to taste. This also freezes very well which is good because it is just 2 of us and one roast makes enough for at least 4 meals for us. I like to serve it with all the traditonal BBQ sides, corn bread, slow cooked collards and baked beans. It is like having a little summer in the middle of winter.
This sounds delicious but I had to google ‘liquid smoke’ as I’d never heard of it!

Apparently it is available in some supermarkets but it’s new to me.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Moira in N.E. England View Post
This sounds delicious but I had to google ‘liquid smoke’ as I’d never heard of it!

Apparently it is available in some supermarkets but it’s new to me.

Walmart carries it too.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:23 PM

I was surprised recently when I had to pick up a new bottle of liquid smoke to find more than one flavor/brand, it was up top (sometimes it is down at the bottom) in the spice area of my regular chain grocery store. I've been using it since the 70s when I was growing up in Alaska, the "preferred" coating for salmon steaks was crushed Ritz crackers, you'd dip the salmon in a milk/egg wash with a little liquid smoke in it, a sprinkle of Johnnies Season Salt, and the crushed Ritz crackers. Halibut didn't use the smoke or the crackers, but cubed and rolled crushed Corn Flakes.

For a holiday dip, one "tall" can salmon (or two tuna size), drained deboned and skinned (8-12 oz??), one 8 oz cream cheese, small amount of finely minced onion, 1-2 tsp liquid smoke. Mix all together well and let sit at least a couple hours/overnight. To be fancy, finely chop approximately equal parts fresh parsley and walnuts and make a log with chilled dip and roll in the mixture. You can also add some of both to the log, especially the parsley to tie it all together. Since we are low carb, we get the mini sweet peppers (hubby does a few jalepenos for himself), cut them in half and fill with some of the dip, and then dip into the nut/parsley mixture. These have been a big hit at company potlucks and other gatherings since the hubby went Keto.

I used to do a big pot of pinto beans in the crock pot, more of a baked bean style than a chili style but I'd usually start with half a bottle or so of BBQ sauce in the bean liquid started the day before. The day of serving in the morning I'd just cube up some pork (we usually had loins available) and throw it in, everything was done lovely in the evening. You could also throw some of that smoke in there too, but a little goes a long way. Really open it away from your food and measure, you don't want a spill.