Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help - turned applique is showing seams thru the front >

Need help - turned applique is showing seams thru the front

Need help - turned applique is showing seams thru the front

Old 11-19-2019, 12:26 PM

Default Need help - turned applique is showing seams thru the front

Hi

I am hoping someone can tell how me how to solve this. I did applique once as part of a challenge and now I am trying it on another quilt that I am making from scratch (no pattern). In the challenge we used Heat & Bond, but I wasn't so good as stitching down the edges. Since this quilt isn't going to be washed, I thought I would try the turned edge method. I watched many videos and practiced on a sample. My final fabric which is Joann's solid color broadcloth, treated with Bubble Jet since I printed on it (also my first time using the Bubble Jet but that part seemed to go well, just not sure that has an effect). When turning under I used Niagara starch to press the seams, using a freezer paper template. The applique shaped is just a circle, but that means those folded under seams are excessive underneath. I thought the seams were showing thru a bit the front, but might be OK when I added the shape to the background. I didn't want to sew to the background, so I used the Heat & Bond. When I ironed the Heat & Bond to the finished circle, it looks horrible. The Heat & Bond just enhanced all those little wrinkles in the underneath seams. I don't think this piece is usable now.

So, does Heat & Bond not go well with turned under seams? Did the Bubble Jet or the Niagara contribute to the issue? What do you suggest I do to get a nice circle? I also liked the finished look of the turned under method vs stitching over the top of my circle.

Thank you

Michele
Old 11-19-2019, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

Regular Heat and Bond is difficult to sew through. If you don’t intend to sew or wash the finished project, it will be fine. If you want to sew the appliqué circles down, I suggest using the method where you sew a used dryer sheet of light weight interfacing to the right side of your circle, cut a small slit in the dryer sheet and turn the circle right side out through the slit. If you iron it carefully, it makes a nice circle ready to stitch down.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:13 PM

You say it looks horrible and you can see the seam allowance through the applique. Can you post a picture?

If the seam allowance is showing through the applique because it's a lighter color than the background, can you cut the background out?

If it's not the seam allowance that's showing through, but more like uneven folds and gathers, maybe try trapunto, which is a small piece of batting placed between the applique and the background. This will hide the gathers and give definition to the applique. Google "how to trapunto", there will be a lot of how-tos out there.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

Starch and heavy pressing can also leave an impression of what is under the fabric. If you spritz the area with water and let it dry without pressing, do the marks still show through?
Old 11-19-2019, 02:46 PM

I am not sure I understand why you used heat and bond with needle turned appliqué.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:48 PM

Hi & Welcome!

Stitching applique does get easier with practice. I found that starting on a scrap piece for a few minutes helps me get the rhythm just right.

With turned applique, typically, there is no fusible added on the fabric. Cut and stitch it down. You can use a glue stick to hold the applique in place on the background.

Second, it may be the product. Did you use Heat n Bond or the Heat n Bond lite? The LQS ladies recommend the lite product. Another one to consider is misty fuse. There are other light fusible available too.

I would still stitch it down onto the fabric.

Best wishes with your project. Again, welcome to the group.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If you want to sew the appliqué circles down, I suggest using the method where you sew a used dryer sheet of light weight interfacing to the right side of your circle, cut a small slit in the dryer sheet and turn the circle right side out through the slit. If you iron it carefully, it makes a nice circle ready to stitch down.
I don't do applique, but my mother does and this is how she does turn edged applique.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:01 PM

Here are photos of front and back. It's hard to get a good photo of how bad the folds are showing thru the front, but those wrinkles you see are extremely noticeable in real life. As is the noticing of the folded under seam because the center of the circle is much lighter. Any fabric other than the same yellow for the background shows differently through the center where it's single thickness. It's like the fabric is too thin/transparent. I didn't notice this problem on my test sample which was different fabric (darker, stiffer). I'm also attaching a photo of the back - the transparency is a bit more noticeable in this photo. I know the folds aren't perfect, but even perfect folds would be showing the folds on the front side. This is Symphony Broadcloth from Joann's. I am thinking maybe it's just the fabric and maybe I can try a white cotton circle as a liner between the front and the folded under edge (like a lining)?

I used the Heat & Bond after I folded the edge under because I thought that would be easier and neater to attack to a background (with my poor stitch around the edge of an applique skill). I know it's unconventional but this is a not to be daily used/washed item, so thought would be OK.

I am also making other circles for this quilt that will be button, and was going to try the trapunto to get them to puff up a little, but figured I needed to master this one first as a regular flat applique. The rate I'm going, I don't see puffed circles happening any time soon!
Attached Thumbnails img_7489_small.jpg   img_7490_small.jpg  
Old 11-19-2019, 05:04 PM

I did use a good amount of starch on the fold and always do a lot of pressing as it generally improves straigtenness & flatness for me. Nothing to lose at this point, so I'll go spritz it up with some water.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:20 PM

Ok, a tip for the freezer paper method.

Fold the edges around the circle of fr**eezer paper template. You need to clip the seam allowance almost to the fold line. Don't go past the fold line crease into the body of the circle. The snips in the seam allowance allow the seam allowance to spread out and stack on top of one another. It should eliminate the wrinkles.

A technique that may be a solution for you. Just incorporate using the circles.

https://quiltingtutorials.com/tutori...el-lotus-quilt