Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting with embroidery designs. >

Quilting with embroidery designs.

Quilting with embroidery designs.

Old 11-21-2019, 07:05 AM

Default Quilting with embroidery designs.

I am brand new to machine embroidery and hope to use some of my machine's installed designs as well as some imported from the internet to complete unfinished works. I find that most YouTube videos or tutorials address unassembled quilt blocks for embroidery within a hoop. My closet contains several quilt tops already assembled; two of these are already sandwiched. Other than fmq or a walking foot, how can I use my existing designs since I have assembled quilt tops and can't hoop each block?
Old 11-21-2019, 07:31 AM

We have people here who do so many amazing things. I was recently given a modern machine after quilting most of the last 20 years on a machine older than I am, but I've been seeing things at quilt expos and such of the machines that do quilting designs. It's all beyond my comprehension but I am also very clever at fitting in fabric under machines and managed to quilt a king sized quilt (just simple grids) on my little old vintage machine.

Did you get your machine from a sewing machine shop that offers classes especially in support of your machine? Often included in maintenance contracts, or paid classes.

Chances are good someone here has and uses your model so it would help if you said specifically what you have.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:41 AM

I have made many many embroidered designs and made applique pieces and put them onto already assembled quilt tops. They work great with crazy quilts especially. I recently made a quilt that the fabric failed on after washing and people here suggested applique pieces to cover the failed parts. Great Idea for your quilt tops too.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:00 AM

Oh yes! Quilting in the hoop. Some designs are intended for exactly this purpose. You use the design as the quilting. One common way is with a "quilt square" motif.

But you can use most any outline shape this way, even if not made specifically for quilting, as they will look much the same on front and back. Just try a sample first to see if it looks nice on front/back, or if any changes need to be made, and use good, matching thread on both sides. Last year I used an outline of an old station wagon and repeated it across the quilt to secure the quilt layers. It was fun and very unique for him.

There is a process called edge-to-edge or endless embroidery that allows you to fill your largest hoop with a design, then rehoop and continue down the entire length of the quilt. Lots of great ideas out there for quilting in the hoop. Plenty of tutorials on YouTube and pictures on Pinterest.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-21-2019 at 09:32 AM. Reason: link noted requires sign up
Old 11-21-2019, 08:18 AM

I use my HV Topaz 20 with the embroidery attachment to quilt most of my quilts. After the quilt is sandwiched, I hoop the each block and run the quilting design. There are previous threads on this site with a lot of discussion around this topic. Perhaps a search would help you find the discussions. I sometimes supplement with SID or use my walking foot, or FMQ. But doing the entire quilt using the embroidery attachment is possible. I have quilted many queen size quilts using this method. Good luck!
Old 11-21-2019, 08:54 AM

I recently used my embroidery machine to quilt a throw for my couch for the holidays. Not a bad first attempt but far from perfect. The hoop I used was not very large, but it did allow for hooping all the layers.
Things I learned 1) Remember to use the appropriate bobbin thread. It's not a lot of fun to rip it all out and start over 2) Pay attention to how smooth it is on the back. I did end up with a bit more poof between the motifs then I had intended.
My next attempt will be with an endless design on a small wall hanging. I hope to one day do an endless design down the sashing strips of a top that has been waiting for my skills to improve before I quilt it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]620015[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]620016[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0722.jpg   img_0723.jpg  
Old 11-21-2019, 11:23 AM

I have quilted quite a few quilt sandwiches on a Bernina B700 embroidery machine with usually a 400x210mm hoop. Most have been E2E continuous longarm designs that I either digitized from an image or downloaded as a longarm file with usually a qli format. I use Embird for all the digitizing and conversiton to the exp files that are needed by the Bernina. I also do the custom quilting with blocks, sashing,borders with picture framing etc. Although I could do larger quilts than crib size I normally do not as that would feel like work and I want this to be fun.

Normally I use Glide, Isacord etc #40 thread top and bottom, but also have used #60 Bottomline for blending or 50/3 cotton for a heavier look.

I always baste a 4" strip around the top and make the batting and backing that size to allow for hooping.

I could go on and on but I'll stop before your eyes glaze over.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:45 PM

What size are your quilts? What machine are you using? Hoop size?

The best advice I can offer is to learn the machine features first working on small projects. Learn how to position the design where you want it. Learn how to re-hoop and position the next design. Learn hooping techniques so the hoop doesn't pop off. Learn what to do if that does happen because it probably will at some point.

You want to be able to get back where you were in the design. Get comfortable with your machine first and then work with your quilts. It's not a quick and easy process. Take classes if your LQS offers them.

I have used a magnetic hoop to quilt ITH. I tried a regular hoop and just couldn't get it to work. My current quilting project is 68x74. I am managing it okay but it is a challenge.

Good luck!
Old 11-21-2019, 06:50 PM

I've quilted SITD from top to bottom and side to side on a quilt 80 inches by 80 inches. It was a single Irish Chain. I digitized a Shamrock and 4 Shamrocks could fit in the 4 corners of the plain squares. The Shamrocks were smaller than 4 inches. Hooped each plain square, embroidered 1 Shamrock and repeated the procedure in each of the 4 corners. Am waiting for my 260mm by 260mm hoop to arrive and will quilt in each square on another quilt.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:42 AM

The biggest problem you will have can be uneven stitches due to the weight of the quilt. You have to keep it the same at all times or the stitches will change. Also you may need to adjust your tension. If it a hooped design, they do not need to have as even weight, but if you lst the quilt hang it makes the machine work harder.