Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New High >

New High

New High

Old 11-23-2019, 05:31 PM

I think most quilt shop quality fabrics are made outside of China, so I don't think the recently increased Chinese tariffs affect them.

• Kona Cotton: Korea/Indonesia/Thailand
  • Friedlander by Robert Kaufman: Japan
  • Freespirit: Korea
  • Art Gallery: South Korea
  • Cotton & Steel: Japan
  • Moda: Korea/Japan
  • Cloud 9: Indian subcontinent
  • American Made Brand: United States

If anything, it's other costs, increased wages, potential health insurance costs, even increases in local taxes. I pretty much can't afford $15/yard fabric, so when I shop online, I'm not taking away from LQS. If my only source was LQS, I'd probably have to cease my hobby.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:29 AM

There is only one LQS in my town, fabric is $16.99 and up. I'm sorry to say this but it really isn't any better than JoAnn's. I purchased several yards recently, took it home, washed and dried it. It shrank, bled and felt just as thin as JoAnn's fabric. Several LQS in my area in about a 2 hour drive have closed and last week two more announced they are closing at the end of this year. I guess with minimum wages going up, shipping costs, etc., many places not just fabric stores will be out of business.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:40 PM

I'm 75 and the stash I have acquired will far outlive me. I buy quality fabric but at close out prices. I don't care if the line is 2 or 3 years old. I guess you could say I'm a controlled scrappy quilter. I have never bought fabric to duplicate a quilt pattern. I also very seldom buy a pattern, there are too many free ones one the internet.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:22 PM

I am lucky that there is a LQS within a reasonable drive that sells older fabric lines for $7-8 a yard. It is the only reason I can afford to buy enough fabric to make anything with at the moment.

Here in Illinois our minimum wage is set to climb from $8.25 to $15 over the next few years, and in my part of the state businesses can't afford that. My department at work is already half the size it was last year, with no new hires planned. After the cost of living increases to match the costs of paying employees so much, I won't be able to afford to live here anymore. My entire living plan revolves around paying off my student loan and other debt this year so I can afford to move out of state when the bottom falls out of everything locally.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:05 PM

I rarely if ever pay full price. It means missing out on the focus fabric for most lines but other than that it is worth waiting.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-30-2019 at 03:28 AM. Reason: no government talk permitted
Old 11-29-2019, 10:40 PM

Honestly, the quilt shops in my area that are successful are the ones that are not just selling fabrics, but they're offering services as well. Quilting, binding, lots of classes, etc. Time to diversify, I guess.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-30-2019 at 03:29 AM. Reason: no government talk permitted
Old 11-30-2019, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

You're right Peckish. There are three shops close to me and they all offer many different classes, sew ins, do Quilts of Valor, embroidery, Make and Take, Mysteries, BOMs, and many free demos and clubs. If you attend any function there is a discount on items. There is something different everyday at these three shops. One owner told me she couldn't make it on fabric sales alone. The classes and clubs keep her going. I have learned so much from the free events these shops have from different companies from thread to machines to fusibles. And the sales ring up with the free events. One told me her job was an event co ordination instead of a fabric shop owner.