Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Memory quilt....with socks?? >

Memory quilt....with socks??

Memory quilt....with socks??

Old 11-22-2019, 02:23 PM

Default Memory quilt....with socks??

I have been asked to make a memory quilt using the deceased T-shirts.I have a book that will be helpful with the preparation of the t-shirts and the layout, etc. My question is...mom would like me to incorporate some of her son's socks (I guess he collected them) and I'm not quite sure how to do that.I'm afraid they will un-ravel if I cut them. I thought about maybe using them in sashing or maybe a border - not quite sure. Any suggestions?? Pictures?? !

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-22-2019 at 04:11 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 11-22-2019, 02:42 PM
bj

Maybe you could applique them on the border whole and not cut them. I agree, seems like they’d ravel if you cut into them. Or use them some way to do a wall hanging, or roll them so the sock design shows and do a wreath shape? Sounds like a very sweet challenge. Good luck!
Old 11-22-2019, 03:16 PM

I have some pretty fun socks in my life... I think I would try using pinking shears and cutting them in half in a sock shape and then appliqueing down the sock shape.

I know you can and have seen baby socks appliqued down, often by hand after the quilting.

Here's some other ways:
https://www.toocooltshirtquilts.com/...cks-in-a-quilt
Old 11-22-2019, 05:56 PM
Power Poster

​If the socks are fine, thin ones, I would leave them whole and use a zig zag stitch with matching thread to appliqué stitch them on a outside border. Kind of like they are walking around the edge. You could appliqué them all to the quilt back but that might make it hard to quilt.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:27 PM

I agree with the above comments, appliqueing them on would be a good idea. there was a member posting here recently about projects she was doing with neckties, it looks like you could do something similar.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:53 PM

If it's not just going to be a wall hanging, you could applieque the socks on a plain back
Old 11-23-2019, 08:27 AM

I agree that if you cut them they may just ravel like crazy. Maybe you could just applique them thru out the quilt on a plain piece of fabric and make it as a block among the t-shirts. Or could you make a pocket on the back or front of the quilt and have them hanging out from the pocket? I am sure you will get some great ideas from all of these creative members on this board
Old 11-24-2019, 07:50 PM

I made this First Year quilt for my daughter's friend and used socks and booties, but they were small ones.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]620173[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails bottom-half-sashings-border.jpg  
Old 11-25-2019, 09:35 AM

Wildyard I love it
Old 11-25-2019, 04:27 PM

If you cut them they will turn under. You might try cutting just a portion of the back of the sock and applique them down. I did this on a little girls quilt with many of her dresses, I wanted to use the full dress so I cut away the back to reduce bulk, same thing with her receiving blankets and other items. I have made three memory quilts using this method. The first two were my grandsons clothes and they were all types and weights of fabric. Good luck and let your imagination become creative.