Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accuquilt >

Accuquilt

Accuquilt

Old 11-25-2019, 06:20 AM

Default Accuquilt

This is what I want for Xmas...I would like the electric cutter...maybe some applique pieces to make feather and now what dies for quilt blocks?..ant suggestions?
Thanks for your help...
Old 11-25-2019, 06:35 AM

I adore my strip cutters. I use 2 1/4 inch for binding as well as the 2 inch for strip piecing. The other dies I have were for specific quilts.

Merry Christmas!!!
Old 11-25-2019, 06:59 AM

I just have the hand crank one but I love it....I do have several dies now.....the ones I use most often are the strip cutters.....I like the ones that cut multiples of one size....I do 2.5 inch strips for all my binding strips so use it on all my quilts for that....I also have the 1,1.5,and 2 inch strip cutters in addition to my 2.5 one. I use those a lot for stashing. I like my 2, 2.5, 3.5 and 5 inch square cutters...use the little ones a lot when doing bonnie hunter mystery quilts. I also have various half square triangle ones which I also like....a few odd cut ones like tumbler ones and just two applique ones....I would start with the basic ones you want which for me would be the strip, square, and triangle ones.....they have sales periodically and free shipping if you order a certain amount so I have added on over the years....I do not care for the "cubes" as those dies often just cut one shape...If I need to add more to get free shipping I will order some of the mats as they do wear out and I use them until they no longer cut or split....
Old 11-25-2019, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

I have the Go Big and Go manual. I like the Go manual the best. I usually have hiccups with the Go Big. Just more stuff to go wrong with it. My Go manual is one of the first ones so it's about 14 years old and still going strong. DH has put new bearing in it twice for me. The plastic is getting weaker on the housing after all this time. I use the Go Big for the large dies made for it. All these years I have collected a large amount of dies. My Go is as important to me as my sewing machine.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:58 AM

I too am asking for the Accuquilt for X-Mas. This has been a helpful thread. Will be watching closely for other thoughts.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:18 AM

I got the gobig last year on Black Friday. I got it with the 12 inch cube and have since added the 6 inch cube and a companion set along with the churn dash set and other dies I found at 50% off at JoAnns. Because of my bad back, I have to use it or my husband has to help me cut all my blocks.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:33 AM

I bought the go big las year and I like it very much I have not bought to many die yet because the dentist took all my money.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

When I first bought mine, before anyone really knew what it was back then, my quilt friends all thought I was nuts. Said it was too expensive and not worth it. They made me feel bad about my purchase even though I could see the value. Then little by little they started asking if I would demo it, then bring it to guild sew days to cut fabric then to asking to borrow it. I said yes to the demos but no to doing any cutting or loaning. Now my core group of quilting buddies all have one and we share dies. I would never give a bad review of any product I did not use and know what I was talking about so be aware many will about the Go. Most say it wastes fabric, dies cost too much, mats wear out, too expensive and ruler and cutter will do the same thing. Don't listen if not first hand experience.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:54 PM

I love my machine and all the dies too. Easy to use and makes fast work of cutting multiple pieces. I started with the dies for the original 72 blocks and have added qubes along the way.

I suggest to pick a block size that you like to do first and start with those dies and the strips. The cubes offer a nice compact storage method but are limited to cutting 6 layers of that shape. I like the dies that cut multiples of the shapes.

Go to the "learn and share" section of AQ for helpful tips. There is also an app to add your dies to your inventory.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:27 PM

I also have both the manual and Big Go Electric. I had the manual first but after yrs of cranking felt I deserved the Electric. I would go with what you do most...If you work with blocks go for dies 5-6-8 inch, Ohio Star is nice, Smaller blocks 2 1/2, There's triangles, tumblers, Maybe buy when you have a specific quilt in mind. Like most we buy thinking we'll use certain ones and they lay unused.