Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
New To Me Davis:Pics & Help Identify Attachments >

New To Me Davis:Pics & Help Identify Attachments

New To Me Davis:Pics & Help Identify Attachments

Old 12-04-2019, 06:48 PM

Default New To Me Davis:Pics & Help Identify Attachments

Hello all,

I have pictures below.

I posted some questions about a Davis machine recently and today I purchased it. I have almost zero knowledge pertaining to sewing machines but I've been wanting one for about 10 years and my goal is to learn to make some clothing and simple upholstery items. I picked it up for $80, which may be overpaying, but it was worth it to me with the attachments that came with it and what seems to me to be a machine in good shape. The lady I bought it from said it was her husband's grandmother's machine, and they believe she bought it new. They were moving and wanted to sell it.

The number on the bottom of the chrome plate, in front of the needle and foot is: 2712025. I am assuming this is a serial number?

My first question is could someone guide me to information on the appropriate methods to service and lubricate the machine before use?

Here are some pictures after I got it home:

Here are the attachments that came with the machine. I numbered them in the picture below. If someone could help me to understand what each one is for or what each one is called I can look it up online and hopefully learn how to use them.

I forgot to add this in the picture above.

Two of the drawers had something that I'm not sure is original or something that has been added. One had a piece of wood with some holes in the top that were holding small spools of thread. The other drawer had a thicker piece of wood in the bottom. The wood had slots cut vertically across the top into one end of it and felt was pushed down into the slots. My guess would be that this is a place to stick needles into.

In case anyone is interested in the hidden surprises, this is everything that was in the drawers, minus the extra junk I had to clean out like small pieces of thread and old plastic wrappers from various items. The original manual is in the bag, but parts of it appear to be in bad shape. The original keys were also present, as well as an extra, more modern looking that that doesn't appear to go with the machine. Also an interesting circular screwdriver with three heads, a lot of extra needles, pins and buttons.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 12-04-2019, 07:41 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]620497[/ATTACH]

your bullet thing is the shuttle and the barbell spools are the bobbins. Bobbins are threaded into the shuttle and plced in a carrier under the slide
Attached Thumbnails 620335d1575038224-leonf-u169597-albums19738-579298.jpg  
Old 12-04-2019, 07:42 PM

pink crochet hooks might be useful for digging out lint.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:56 PM

Nice looking machine. You might want to photocopy the book and work from the copies instead of the original. Love the triple screwdriver. Is that a box or a book at bottom right of photo?
Old 12-05-2019, 05:17 AM

Really a beautiful machine.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:44 AM

Great buy! Looks like my sister's machine. She has a davis with the long bobbin. I don't know what year or model. I know this will give you hours of pleasure.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:46 AM

2, 3, 4 are to make rolled hems of different widths, 14 is a seam guide. 6 might be base part for #1 and 13. #13 might be an attachment to make ruffles. Somebody else chime in here please! I'm curious at this point and really just wanted to say beautiful machine.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:00 AM

You got a beautiful machine. I would have paid more than $80.00 for it.
In your picture of attachments. Number 7 through 11 attach to the wing nut on the nose of the machine. Numbers 2, 3, and 4 look like hemmer attachments that would replace the front slide plate under the needle. Is that a manual in the zip lock bag?
Old 12-05-2019, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Vetteman61 View Post
...The number on the bottom of the chrome plate, in front of the needle and foot is: 2712025. I am assuming this is a serial number?
Yes, that is the serial number. Davis serial numbers are not documented very well, but some have come up with some probably good estimates. I'm guessing that would put it about 1912 or 1913.

... My first question is could someone guide me to information on the appropriate methods to service and lubricate the machine before use?
For general machine cleaning there is a sticky in the vintage section How to Clean Up and use a vintage sewing machine - videos by Muv and Fav

Generally, as for the main painted and decals of the machine, it is advised to just wipe with sewing machine oil and soft cloth or cotton balls. Many so-called cleaning products will ruin the decals. Lubricating is just applying oil to parts that move (or should move).

... Here are the attachments that came with the machine. I numbered them in the picture below. If someone could help me to understand what each one is for or what each one is called I can look it up online and hopefully learn how to use them
Some of these have been identified by others. Items 5 & 11 are part of the "gauge and self sewer" which I believe was patented by Barnum. As QuiltMom2 said, 2, 3, 4 are to make rolled hems of different widths and replace the front slide plate when in use.

Many can be identified in the manual that is linked at Info on a Davis for a complete noobie There is another manual for an older VF machine that may have similar attachments http://ismacs.net/davis/manuals/davis-vf-manual.pdf

I think that is a neat screwdriver #15 as there are several different size screws on the machine.

Number 16 would be a presser foot, but not sure if it would be for cording or something else.

... Two of the drawers had something that I'm not sure is original or something that has been added. One had a piece of wood with some holes in the top that were holding small spools of thread. The other drawer had a thicker piece of wood in the bottom. The wood had slots cut vertically across the top into one end of it and felt was pushed down into the slots. My guess would be that this is a place to stick needles into.
Yes, the small spools of thread are the long shuttle bobbins and go into the shuttle (the picture of the item not included with other the attachments). And many cabinets had those holes for holding the bobbins.

I'm guessing that the slots with felt stuffed down would hold at least some of the attachments so that they would not get tangled together and bent.

I think you got a good deal, Congratulations.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Not affiliated with off-site links
Old 12-05-2019, 06:52 AM

Here is a youtube video showing how to use the binding attachment. She covers the Davis at 5:25.
https://youtu.be/JiOHh2yZ9gQ