Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Christmas fabric >

Christmas fabric

Christmas fabric

Old 12-13-2019, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

Default Christmas fabric

be on the look out for Christmas fabric sales. Many stores want to unload it before Chritmas or after. I picked this up at 40%off at Lens Mills a couple of weeks ago. Even though it is Christmas fabric it will be used for backing on a non Christmas lap quilt.[ATTACH=CONFIG]620870[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 12-13-2019, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

that is very cute and doesn't have to be for Holidays at all. hearts are an all time thing. good going.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:01 AM

I am always on the watch for Christmas fabrics that can be used year round. It is amazing what is out there.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:05 AM

I have several tops pieced with "Christmas" fabrics that people never knew and I would never have known either except for the name on the selvedge.

The beige star on this one, for example... Christmas fabric but I don't think it looks seasonal at all!
Attached Thumbnails houndstooth-view.jpg  
Old 12-13-2019, 11:05 AM
Power Poster

​Iceblossom, that is a darling top!
Old 12-13-2019, 11:22 AM

Thanks Tartan, I call it "Houndstooth" but there is a modern block also with that name. When I first started quilting decades ago I put this on my list of things to do and never ever saw it in a show or book or fair. Then, just when I had collected enough fabrics M'Liss Rae Hawley came out with her book Fat Quarter Quilts and there it was prominently featured. I got cranky and decided not to make mine because everyone would think I based it on hers and not 20 years before. So I'm at my quilt guild and telling this story to one of my friends and the lady in front of us is just cracking up... Turns out it was M'liss, she was our featured speaker for that meeting! Anyway, I waited another 10 years or so before finally cranking it out (while not-cranky) a year or so ago.

It's a pretty good book, still recommend it and I often find it used.
https://www.amazon.com/Fat-Quarter-Q.../dp/1564772691

Each brown fabric is unique, many came from my 10" swapping squares so had to be able to be cut from that size scrap of fabric. That picture doesn't show it so well, but you can see at the top that the outer rows are made with half blocks of the border fabric + Christmas star background, then a band of the border fabric.

In my project where I'm making myself a quilt for each month of the year, this is my September quilt. I had a hard time coming up for a theme for September, I knew I didn't want to do back to school, so I decided it was my birthday month and this is my birthday choice of a present to myself
Old 12-13-2019, 03:53 PM

I've noticed many more sales of Christmas fabrics at the quilt shops this year vs other years, and Len's has had Christmas fabric on sale since October at one or another discount.
Today I was at the quilt shop in Mt. Brydges, Ontario called Sew Creative and their Christmas fabric was 50% off. Many of the fabrics on that rack that were classed as "Christmas" were very generic. My friends and I each bought some....
Old 12-13-2019, 05:24 PM

Yes, i even found some purple/lilac Christmas fabric on sale online this week! Had to hold myself back 😊 but got a yard each of 4 different fabrics to add to my Christmas stash!
Old 12-13-2019, 07:25 PM
Power Poster

Tartan, I would use that fabric in quilt tops and not think twice. I haven't been fabric shopping, other than for backings in a while.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:57 AM

Love that fabric Tartan. Iceblossom, your quilt is awesome. I may buy that old book if I don’t have it already. ❤️