Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Felt Embroidery - suggestions or tips? >

Felt Embroidery - suggestions or tips?

Felt Embroidery - suggestions or tips?

Old 12-14-2019, 03:28 PM

Default Felt Embroidery - suggestions or tips?

Hi,
I've been asked to machine embroider a name on a piece of felt so it can be added to a Christmas stocking... I've never done embroidery on felt, so I'm looking for any tips or hints....
Also, is it better to do a more open design vs a denser one?
The friend who asked me to do this asked on behalf of someone else (which I didn't know when I agreed to help my friend). So while I have two pieces of felt, I have no guidance re size or font or anything... except that it be "loopy" if possible.....
Kicking myself for not realizing this was not a favour for a friend but something else....
Old 12-14-2019, 05:46 PM

You want to use a topping to prevent the letters sinking down into the felt. It is a clear product usually just tear away from the letters. I use tweezers to get any small pieces. It’s water solvable too. I don’t know if you want to wet felt. It may stain.

You may want to stitch out the letters on a sample first. Try them for size. I like about an inch for stockings but it can depend on name.

Can you ask for pictures of the stocking? Who is the stocking for?

The font would depend on the stocking style. Rustic, elegant, or child would take different ones.

PS There are usually local shops that can accommodate small projects. Font samples and color selection would be quick and easy for your friend.

Last edited by Rhonda K; 12-14-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:13 PM
Power Poster

I don’t do machine embroidery but be aware not all felt is the same. Some are all synthetic and cannot be ironed.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:29 AM

You also want to use a bit larger needle. Than you usually use because of the density of the felt. Only one size difference should do the trick.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:37 AM

My suggestion is to tell your friend you can't do this project. My neighbor just made some Christmas stockings, she went to Wal-Mart and purchased puff paint in the craft section and used that to write the names on. It's in a little bottle, squeeze gently and let it dry completely before touching it or moving it. I helped her and it was quite easy, mine wasn't dry enough when I carried it home and it did smear a little.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by rjwilder View Post
My suggestion is to tell your friend you can't do this project. My neighbor just made some Christmas stockings, she went to Wal-Mart and purchased puff paint in the craft section and used that to write the names on. It's in a little bottle, squeeze gently and let it dry completely before touching it or moving it. I helped her and it was quite easy, mine wasn't dry enough when I carried it home and it did smear a little.
I'd probably choose this idea, too.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:03 AM

Those of you who responded with technique tips, I thank you very much! I have some clear cover stuff, and larger needles. I did plan to do a test sample. And I will not press it! I think I'll leave that to the stocking crafter.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:04 AM

Suggesting she goe elsewhere is not an option once I agreed to do it. My friend is a person who helps everyone with everything....
Old 12-15-2019, 11:38 AM

I find felt to be stable, inexpensive and easy to embroider on. A dense design is fine.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:38 PM

Default Felt Embroidery outcome

Hello all,
Well I found time yesterday to do the felt stitchery that I was asked to do. That felt stitched so wonderfully easy!
Here are the two pieces - one was to have the name centred but near the bottom of the felt, the other was to have the name centred but more to the middle.
On to other things!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]620972[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails gabe.jpg