Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
trouble unauthorize  use of fabric. >

trouble unauthorize use of fabric.

trouble unauthorize use of fabric.

Old 12-16-2019, 08:19 PM

Default trouble unauthorize use of fabric.

I was considering making a some pot holders and other small items to sell with a state sports team fabric. The fabric has this stated on fabric.com This product is intended for personal use only. Any unauthorized use is prohibited. Can I make the items and sell them? Will I get some sort of lawsuit?
Old 12-16-2019, 09:12 PM
Power Poster

A sticky issue....if it says for personal use, that’s what they mean. If you sell items made with the fabric, there is the potential for trouble. Will anyone notice from the teams? With things posted to social media, they might.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:54 PM

It’s fine. I researched the same thing before selling items made with NFL team fabric at a craft fair. You bought fabric from a store that bought it by first rights. You are allowed to Make and sell things using it. What the law prohibits is your copying the fabric. And you are not allowed to copy a pattern except for your own use. You can’t buy a pattern and make copies and sell them or give them away because the instructions are intellectual property.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:30 AM
Administrator

i don't know if it's legally essential, but i think it would also be a good idea to make a little sign stating that the items are not "official NFL products." (or something to that effect.)
Old 12-17-2019, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

Legally, I believe zozee and Patrice are correct. However some companies and sports franchises are very protective of their logos. If they decide to sue, it would cost them little, but could bankrupt an average person. Even knowing that I was in the right, I would not take the chance.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

The fabric manufacture buys the license to print the fabric. You cannot copy the fabric but can use the fabric to make whatever you like. It's okay to sell items made from the fabric.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

Since I don't sell my quilts I don't worry about that stuff.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:30 AM

One time I was asked to make a golf towel with the logo of the State Uhiversity embroidered on it. I did some investigating and found that the university was very strict about the use of their logo, so I did not make the towel. Sometimes it just isn't worth the grief.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:34 AM

Beware! I sell baby clothes from NFL and State fabric on Etsy for several years. etsy removed the "Ohio State ' item due to complaint . No other team have been removed! Also my daughter makes and sells crochet hats with different teams and she had a Michigan State hat removed by Etsy. If you are doing local craft shows may be no problem! If asked to stop just say" Ok ! sorry! I will not sell anymore" Good luck!
Old 12-18-2019, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

just don't do Disney ones. they do not like anyone taking anything from them. Good luck, have fun.