Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today 2020 >

What are we organizing today 2020

What are we organizing today 2020

Old 07-11-2020, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
i I received an overlock/serger as a gift and have never used one. I see that it requires lots of spools of specialty threads so I guess I need to figure how to keep those organized when I start to collect them.

If you inventory this size thread, how do you organize it?
Hi Teen,

I keep a list of the colors and types of threads. It's easy to reference when shopping for more thread.

I thought I needed 4 spools of each color for serger thread. No you don't. You can use 2 neutrals in the lower loopers and 2 colors to match in the upper looper. Since most of the serger seams are hidden, it really doesn't have to match. However, if you are doing outside decorative stitch, then you can match threads.

I glued golf tees on a board to hold the spools of thread in place.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:23 PM

Organizing my desk, con't. Got through the papers, little scraps of papper, and some art supplies. What's left is some things I need to give to other people and some important stuff that needs to be delt with next week.

So now to sort my file drawer of all papers prior to 2020. And wet dust my desk. Taken 3-4 wks but end of the tunnell is see-able. And since it backs to my sewing machine I can let the quilt project hang over to the desk without all the papers displaced.

Oh, this feels good!
Old 07-11-2020, 09:47 PM
Power Poster

The continuing saga of the QOV quilts from scraps. I figured wrong on the amount of fabric needed for sashing and borders, not a big deal, but think I need another 1/4 to 3/8 of a yard...really dumb as I'm planning on 5" for borders and in my computations for fabric needed figured only 3 1/2 that 1 1/2" x 7 makes a big difference! Oh well, I will get as far as I can and then get the extra fabric on Wednesday when I go to work.

Meanwhile I will continue working on the rail fence quilt with 2" cuts; have over half the blocks sewn for this one. And will only need to get about a yard of fabric for outer border. I have quite a bit of short ends of 2" cuts that I plan on making in to 4P's...guess I'm starting on another quilt..

Last edited by oksewglad; 07-11-2020 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:17 AM

Yesterday was spent clearing off my 8' x 8' design wall so I could put up the white curtains that I cover it with when taking photos of quilts. So in order to do that, I had to remove three pieces in progress of being thread painted and put them on a table in my multipurpose studio. Then I had to remove a very large art quilt from the design wall, but in order to do that I had to piece together the various parts of it. Since it has multiple layers of machine felting, fabrics made from bits and pieces and painted fabrics that had not yet been stitched down, I needed to use the PQ1500s-- which backs up to the PC420. But in order to do that, I had to remove the things off the table that sits beside the PC420 so they wouldn't get knocked off by the art quilt as I was piecing the bits and parts together (like your paper piles on your desk petthefabric). It mainly consists of things that I use with the PC420 all the time and like to have ready to hand. Anyway, all that stuff went onto the Sweet Sixteen table. Then had to put the PC420 on the floor so it wouldn't interfere with the art quilt going through the PQ1500s. Once that was done, I was able to get it pieced together, folded and set on the guest bed (which takes up most of the space in my quilting studio). Then I had to put the PC420 back where it belongs and take all the stuff off the Sweet Sixteen table and put it back on the table beside the PC420. But, at least I now have two clean white curtains pinned to my design wall and the most recent quilt finish is pinned on top so DH can now take photos when he gets a chance. Being vertically challenged, I had to run up and down the step ladder multiple times to get all that done.

I also spent some time re-organizing the toolbox where I keep all my framing and picture hanging stuff and inventoried my pan pastels and reorganized their placement in the pan pastel palette trays. That meant that I had to then clean off the large table in my multipurpose studio because it got pastel dust on it. That's the table that I use when I'm sandwiching quilts and squaring them up in preparation for binding, so no way could I just let the pastel dust linger there.

It sounds like a lot of work, but Still, it's a lot better than it was when I started my decluttering and reorganizing journey several years ago. And I did get a bit distracted by the sounds of a couple of Carolina wrens hopping up and down in the window behind my computer. I have had the bottom half blocked with a piece of foam core in order to cut down on the glare. So I removed the foam core (which involved hauling out the step ladder again) to see if any birds were trapped between the storm window and the regular window and needed rescuing. Instead, I discovered that there is no storm window on that particular window and the birds were building a nest in the space where a storm window would be if there was one. Anyway, I was able to watch the goings on for a while before they became aware I was there, so I put the foam core back (yet another trip up the step ladder) so they'd have some privacy and I would be able to see my computer screen without wearing sunglasses.

After all that activity, I slept really well last night.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 07-12-2020 at 05:25 AM.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Yesterday was spent clearing off my 8' x 8' design wall so I could put up the white curtains that I cover it with when taking photos of quilts. So in order to do that, I had to remove three pieces in progress of being thread painted and put them on a table in my multipurpose studio. Then I had to remove a very large art quilt from the design wall, but in order to do that I had to piece together the various parts of it. Since it has multiple layers of machine felting, fabrics made from bits and pieces and painted fabrics that had not yet been stitched down, I needed to use the PQ1500s-- which backs up to the PC420. But in order to do that, I had to remove the things off the table that sits beside the PC420 so they wouldn't get knocked off by the art quilt as I was piecing the bits and parts together (like your paper piles on your desk petthefabric). It mainly consists of things that I use with the PC420 all the time and like to have ready to hand. Anyway, all that stuff went onto the Sweet Sixteen table. Then had to put the PC420 on the floor so it wouldn't interfere with the art quilt going through the PQ1500s. Once that was done, I was able to get it pieced together, folded and set on the guest bed (which takes up most of the space in my quilting studio). Then I had to put the PC420 back where it belongs and take all the stuff off the Sweet Sixteen table and put it back on the table beside the PC420. But, at least I now have two clean white curtains pinned to my design wall and the most recent quilt finish is pinned on top so DH can now take photos when he gets a chance. Being vertically challenged, I had to run up and down the step ladder multiple times to get all that done.

I also spent some time re-organizing the toolbox where I keep all my framing and picture hanging stuff and inventoried my pan pastels and reorganized their placement in the pan pastel palette trays. That meant that I had to then clean off the large table in my multipurpose studio because it got pastel dust on it. That's the table that I use when I'm sandwiching quilts and squaring them up in preparation for binding, so no way could I just let the pastel dust linger there.

It sounds like a lot of work, but Still, it's a lot better than it was when I started my decluttering and reorganizing journey several years ago. And I did get a bit distracted by the sounds of a couple of Carolina wrens hopping up and down in the window behind my computer. I have had the bottom half blocked with a piece of foam core in order to cut down on the glare. So I removed the foam core (which involved hauling out the step ladder again) to see if any birds were trapped between the storm window and the regular window and needed rescuing. Instead, I discovered that there is no storm window on that particular window and the birds were building a nest in the space where a storm window would be if there was one. Anyway, I was able to watch the goings on for a while before they became aware I was there, so I put the foam core back (yet another trip up the step ladder) so they'd have some privacy and I would be able to see my computer screen without wearing sunglasses.

After all that activity, I slept really well last night.

Rob
Rob, you sound like me. I have all that stuff in my space too...uh... only it's not organized. I also have bird families outside my windows. I absolutely love it! The swallows have been there since spring, raising their babies and teaching how to fly, in prep for that long journey to S. America in the fall. They zoom around the outside of the house, testing their skills. So cute!

~ C
Old 07-12-2020, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Rob The HOAQ View Post
Today I took four 13 gallon trash bags full of fabric and scraps to Goodwill and also ended up getting rid of three more bags that wasn't quilting fabric (most of it was given to Cheryl when a neighbor died). We went through about 20 storage containers full and winnowed that down to about 15 that have a a decent chance of being used in the future. Added storage shelves on both sides of her sewing room to hold works in progress and other things as well as a new eight-drawer unit and redid her thread storage to make it more convenient to her machine. Here are some photos.
Hey Rob. Where did you get those great looking thread holders?
Old 07-12-2020, 10:56 AM

I made an excel sheet of all my rulers and templates. And yes, I did find duplicates!

Then I did my layer cakes.

Next will be jelly rolls and then the charm packs.

Will be nice to look and see what I already own!
Old 07-12-2020, 11:56 AM

How funny. It's the domino affect.

I put the finished quilts on my desk to have the full top of cutting table. The quilts will be around a while d/t covid. I gather many than make one trip to the lady's house rather than the guild. Did take one item to the church today. It's been here about 2 months.

Tomorrow pm is our Zoom sew day. I try to get a project together that doesn't require me to leave the machine. But alas, I think this time I'll need the iron.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:21 PM

Thank you for the serger input, all! Learned lots....great idea about using different colored threads so I can troubleshoot easier. I haven't played with it yet but I Ordered some neutral threads to start off from all your suggestions and will, also, try my regular threads spools as suggested. We'll see how it goes...

Rhonda....great idea on storage... I might have something that may work. I don't typically keep this size thread on hand.

We sold our RV this weekend...this was stored inside hubbie's big workshop so when we pulled it out for buyer, we started organizing hubbies workshop. It a huge shop and, with the RV, his tools have been scattered everywhere. He's got room to work now......he's was in heaven until I handed him his project list. Hahahaha!!
Old 07-12-2020, 05:06 PM

Wow! So much organizing has happened over the past few days. Way to go everyone.

I was putting away some scraps and planned to vacuum when I was done. However, the bin with specific themed fabrics caught my eye. Those themed fabrics just got tossed in the bin when I would find them in donations so they needed to be divided by theme: cats, sunflowers, gardening with fruits/veggies, etc.. I now have the fabric in piles and need to decide how to store them for easier access. While I was sorting scraps, my son wanted to show me the trimming he had done on a tree. So I helped him move the branches to a pile so he could mow. I did finally vacuum but not much more was accomplished for the day.