Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
What are we organizing today 2020 >

What are we organizing today 2020

What are we organizing today 2020

Old 07-12-2020, 06:19 PM
Power Poster

Retired..I know you get all sorts of fabrics...are you concerned about colors running? Do you prewash anything or color test? In my RWB quilt #1 I had an offending red fabric that has ran onto my cream colored sashes. I have 2 more of the offending strips to remove from my blocks and replace with a color safe one. UGH! I'm putting it away for the night!
Old 07-12-2020, 07:27 PM

Hey Rob. Where did you get those great looking thread holders
Fizzle,
We bought those several years ago from the Home Decorators Division of Home Depot. They are part of the Martha Stewart craft collection. Unfortunately that furniture is no longer available, at least not where I could find it. She also got a flat file cabinet that is the perfect size and height for use as a cutting table and storage for her Accuquilt dies and another table that is below the thread holders that is her pressing table. I like the look of the thread holders compared to what she used to have, which is the rickety-looking wood holders. As I remember, these weren't that cheap to begin with. I think we paid about $130 or so per unit, although I could be wrong on that. I remember that they weren't cheap.

Rob....Imwould love to flip thru them pages of all the art projects you have done. I'm not well disciplined in printing the pictures out; however, I do take pain tires of each project so that is so,etching, I guess..
Teen, the problem is to make all those I either need to find another job, or win the lottery. Of course, to do that, i would have to play. My mother always said I had champagne tastes on a beer budget.

Last edited by Rob The HOAQ; 07-12-2020 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
Rob....Imwould love to flip thru them pages of all the art projects you have done. I'm not well disciplined in printing the pictures out; however, I do take pain tires of each project so that is so,etching, I guess..
Thanks, Teen. I've only been good about taking them and printing them out for my quilts. There are a ton of wearables (hats, shawls, scarves), paintings, jewelry and sculptures that I never photographed, many of which have been sold, so there is no way to record those. I'm trying to be better about photos of the paintings now that I'm retired and moving a lot slower.

Rob
Old 07-13-2020, 08:28 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Rob, you sound like me. I have all that stuff in my space too...uh... only it's not organized. I also have bird families outside my windows. I absolutely love it! The swallows have been there since spring, raising their babies and teaching how to fly, in prep for that long journey to S. America in the fall. They zoom around the outside of the house, testing their skills. So cute!

~ C
Tropit- sounds like fun watching the swallows-- they're amazing birds.
we have house sparrows that nest in some blinds on our back porch every year, they're fun to watch through the kitchen door. I knew we had Carolina wrens nesting somewhere, but didn't realize where until I moved the foam core.

Re: stuff in my space- I am lucky to have one entire room to myself for my multipurpose studio- that 's where I have my big table that serves as an assembly table for framing work and also as a basting table for basting large quilts and a cutting table when time to square them up and it also has an ironing pad that covers the whole thing, so I can easily iron an entire quilt top and backing when necessary. My quilting studio is in the space between the guest bed and my office (which occupies the trunk room that's attached to the guest bedroom), so my quilting studio goes through the large arched doorway between the two rooms. It can get pretty tight in there when I'm using all four machines that I keep permanently set up (the Sweet Sixteen, PQ1500s, PC420 and VX560) since they occupy a space that's only 8 feet square. My design wall takes up one whole wall in the guest room beside the guest bed. All the walls except that one have windows so I can't put any storage up the walls. Hence, all my storage is underneath my various sewing tables. Before I started organizing things you couldn't walk between the left side of the guest bed and the wall and the bed was piled high with stuff. Every time we had guests I had to spend a couple of days shoving everything into the sewing space so the guests could get into bed. Now there are permanent walkways on either side of the bed, but it took a good two years to get things decluttered and organized to that point.

Rob
Old 07-13-2020, 08:31 AM

Oops. Wrong Rob. My bad.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Retired..I know you get all sorts of fabrics...are you concerned about colors running? Do you prewash anything or color test? In my RWB quilt #1 I had an offending red fabric that has ran onto my cream colored sashes. I have 2 more of the offending strips to remove from my blocks and replace with a color safe one. UGH! I'm putting it away for the night!
Red is really the only color fabric I pre wash...that has happened to me one too many times. I have yet to find a red fabric that is color safe so I'm curious on what you found that is. Will you share? I make many QOV's so this would be so good to know..
Old 07-13-2020, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

Teen this quilt is made of several bits of fabric I have "inherited"..just bits of this and that with no selvage information, most are quilt shop quality fabrics. I will take a pic of the offending fabric when I get a chance. Coincidentally I threw the strips into a glass jar of tap water last night. it looks like a deep red punch right now! I think Moda fabrics do a good job of safe reds. Fabrics that I purchase are all prewashed and dried.

I should explain that I was pressing the finished strip sashing and spritzed it with water to get a crisper press...that's when the color migration began.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:56 PM

Thanks, ok!!
Old 07-13-2020, 05:58 PM

oksewglad: I, too, only wash what I purchase. That’s a thought provoking question about fabrics bleeding. I will do a quick hand wash test on some donated fabrics that I’m concerned about them bleeding. Otherwise, I just use what is available. I also am not a big user of bright whites. I lean toward creams or Bonnie Hunter’s neutrals. Lol!

rryder: Now that we have 2 Robs, I will need to go back to your username. Lol! Way to go in keeping those paths clear around the guest bed. I would love to see pictures of your multipurpose room. I have an L shaped area and enjoy seeing other people’s quilting areas for inspiration.

I finished putting away piles last night from my sorting. Then I pulled out another box because I couldn’t remember what was in it (not all my boxes get labels unfortunately). It was more baby fabric plus some other fabrics from the baby organization where I volunteer. Grrr! So today I started sorting and will need to decide what type of box/bin will fit all of the baby fabric. Slowly but surely, I’m getting things organized by theme, color, size, or shape.

I’m still working on pictures and memorabilia and am feeling good about the progress.

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 07-13-2020 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:35 AM

Carpet should be dry from cleaning yesterday. So today, it can be put back together. It feels so nice to have it clean.