2020 UFO Challenge

Old 11-01-2020, 05:02 PM

oksewglad: Very pretty quilt! Thanks for sharing your hanging system.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

Default Oct post #1204 Load of scrap!

How it started and why it stalled This was a design as you go (aka flying by the seat of my pants). A while ago I made several scrappy spool blocks, then had to decide what to do with them and set them in the rows with a dark spacer between. Pulled out the gold as a horizontal sashing between the rows and a all around border. What next? I had the dark light HST's laying around so adjusted my gold borders to accommodate the HST's. In January 2020 it sat....I found some log cabin blocks for another border, so the gold border went on to fit the LC blocks. I like larger quilts to fit beds and this wasn't big enough so scrounged around and found the dark blue fabric that I could make wider borders from. It is 84 x 91 inches. Then it sat...

And then In early October I...What should I use for a backing? I call this a utilitarian quilt to use up fabric and didn't want to buy backing fabric or use some of my nicer pieces for the backing. I was able to piece the back with the blue and gold widened by a floral piece. After LA'ng it I figured I had enough from the backing and leftovers to make my binding. There is very little left from the 3 pieces used on the back. Lots of stash fabric used in this! Sashay pantograph from Urban Elementz was used.

Tried to eliminate the extra photos...sorry.
Attached Thumbnails 2020-load-scrap-closeup.jpg   2020-load-scrap-closeup-resized.jpg   2020-load-scrap-back-resized.jpg   2020-load-scrap.jpg   2020-load-scrap-closeup-resized.jpg  

2020-load-scrap-back-resized.jpg  

Last edited by oksewglad; 11-02-2020 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:25 AM

Great hanging system and a beautiful quilt, oksewglad!
Old 11-02-2020, 12:33 PM

Oksewglad - those are great quilts! I especially love the second one, so pretty
Old 11-02-2020, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

Default Oct post #1210 Stars in the News

How it began In January of 2019 I declared it the year of the triangle (waste triangles that is). Earlier I had made a couple of wonky red star blocks and made a few more at that time.

Why it stalled And then it sat. This winter I pulled out the few blocks and added some more. Soon I had 72 blocks and was running out of the red stash fabric. Now what to do...and then it sat.

And then In August I decided to finish it up and struck upon the idea of sashing with some newsprint fabric in stash. In my EQ program I played with layouts and decided on 3" sashes between each block and had enough to sash and border the quilt. I decided to use colored scraps as cornerstones. Oh but what if I make wonky stars with the corner stones. Lots of waste triangles used up! Meanwhile browsing in a LQS I found a red KFasset fabric and said...hmm I wonder if this is the right red. Bought a piece of it and no it wasn't quite the same...but with the newsprint it was far enough away and it would work so ran back and got enough for a 5" border. While showing the top to another quilter, the suggestion was ditch the newsprint border add a yellow and then the KF piece. Voila here it is...
Attached Thumbnails 2020-stars-news.jpg   2020-stars-news-close-up-resized.jpg  

Last edited by oksewglad; 11-02-2020 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-02-2020, 05:57 PM

Oksewglad, I am mightily impressed with both quilts. The first one is so scrappy but it looks like you planned it from the beginning. All of the different components compliment each other so well. You display area is getting some good use!.
Old 11-02-2020, 06:40 PM

oksewglad, those quilts are bright and cheerful. Congrats on your finishes.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:33 AM

They're both fantastic quilts, Oksewglad. I loved reading the story behind them. Congratulations on both finishes.

Rob
Old 11-03-2020, 07:23 AM

oksewglad: Wonderful finishes! I remember you saying last year was going to be the year of waste triangles. I was only thinking of actually making them into HST’s but now I realize they can be used as corner cover ups also. 🤷‍♀️ I certainly don’t need another project but I’m going to make a sample block today. Lol!

I’m enjoying the stories in how quilts became UFO’s from different people. Thank you everyone for inspiring us with those stories.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:33 AM

Great finishes, OK! I admire the fact that you piece so small... you remind me of Bonnie Hunter... Your stars quilt is awesome!