Chili

Old 01-16-2020, 05:05 AM

Default Chili

Chili is like potato salad. Meaning everyone makes it different. Our Hospital has shared their chill recipe so I tried it.

1.5 # ground beef
1-2 minced white onions
2 Tblsp chili powder
2 Tblsp garlic powder
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
14 oz can diced tomatoes
2 cans kidney beans & juice
12 oz chilli sauce. (I prefer only half of this)

Brown the meat with onions. Drain off grease add everything else simmer about an hour.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:14 AM

My butcher suggested using ground pork instead of beef when I saw how much its gone up in price. I like it better with the ground pork. I also had 3 kinds of beans and a quart of my home-made salsa for the tomatoes. I make up to a gallon of it at a time, split it into 2 - 1/2 gallon freezer containers and stash 1 in the freezer for later.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:38 AM

Thanks for sharing. I love chili with chunks of tomatoes.
My kids think chili has to have brown sugar in it. If I leave it out, they bring it to the table to sit next to the shredded cheese and other add ons.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

Yep, everyone has their own favourite. I use extra lean hamburger or venison for mine.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
My butcher suggested using ground pork instead of beef when I saw how much its gone up in price. I like it better with the ground pork. I also had 3 kinds of beans and a quart of my home-made salsa for the tomatoes. I make up to a gallon of it at a time, split it into 2 - 1/2 gallon freezer containers and stash 1 in the freezer for later.
Good plan ! Stash from the freezer is such a huge help on crazy days ! Right after Thanksgiving I make double batches of a lot of things. Very helpful when Christmas schedules are tight.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:40 AM

Update: I made this yesterday and decided the chili sauce gave too much sweet taste so I opted to use half that much next time. Today we had leftovers - the sweet taste had mellowed and the chili powder intensified. I wouldn’t change a thing.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:12 AM

Chili always tastes better the next day - I think all the spices and foods just need to meld. Kind of like spaghetti sauce needs to cook all day to get the full flavor.

It sounds good. Your comment that it's like potato salad "everyone makes it different". When I was first married my DH would not eat chili, said he didn't like it. But since I did, I thought maybe he would like mine. And he did - a lot, kept saying it was so much better than this mom's, even told her he like my chili. A few years later his sister had a family gathering with a group of cousins in the LA area. When we took our first bite we were all surprised because it tasted like spaghetti with beans instead of noodle. Another cousin said she thought she got her spices mixed but my SIL kept saying how much she loved her own chili. So we asked for the recipe - turns out there wasn't any chili in it - just Italian spices. When my DH and I got in the car to go home he said, "You aren't going to make that are you? I grew up with it and that's why I said I didn't like chili and yours is so much better."
Old 01-16-2020, 06:22 PM

Quiltingcandy, that sounds terrible!! Yes, there are a lot of different chili recipes, but that's not chili, it's just odd, lol!

I didn't ever like my chili, regardless of how many different recipes I tried. Growing up, my mom made chili by starting with dried beans; Dad raised them on the farm. But no matter what hints I used, mine never got tender. So I gave up and went with canned beans.

Our daughter made chili that I thought was really good, so I asked for the recipe. It's from Campbell's, and includes (of all things) a can of tomato soup.

Now I want some. Luckily, when I make it, I double the recipe and freeze some. Guess what's for dinner tomorrow, even though it's "Clue day" for Bonnie Hunter's mystery?!?
Old 01-17-2020, 04:20 AM

Default chili

After I found Carroll Shelby's chili seasoning mix at the grocery store, that's the way I make it. Comes out great every time.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:27 AM

I don't care for the texture of kidney beans so use pork'n'beans instead when I'm making chili. It also adds just that bit of sweetness I like, too. If I have it, a little green pepper is good and makes it "pretty".
Hint: if your soup is a little too thin, add a handful of oatmeal to thicken it.