Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Double wedding ring advice >

Double wedding ring advice

Double wedding ring advice

Old 02-22-2020, 10:07 AM

Default Double wedding ring advice

Planning to start a wedding ring quilt with Marti Michell's templates that I've had forever. Has anyone made a wedding ring quilt using a lightweight fusible interfacing for the arcs and 'melons'? I have a roll of lightweight leave in fusible that add very little bulk to the quilt.
Old 02-22-2020, 01:41 PM

Default I made a queen size using this method

Originally Posted by tohkatz68 View Post
Planning to start a wedding ring quilt with Marti Michell's templates that I've had forever. Has anyone made a wedding ring quilt using a lightweight fusible interfacing for the arcs and 'melons'? I have a roll of lightweight leave in fusible that add very little bulk to the quilt.
I thought it turned out really good. I appliqué the arcs on to plain white muslin and trimmed out the back to avoid some thickness. I think it controls the shape of the small pieced shapes and it makes the circles easy,
Old 02-22-2020, 03:41 PM

i made one using Quiltsmart (I think) interfacing. I was happy with the way it turned out
Old 02-23-2020, 07:03 AM

I have made 2 DWR using Quilting from the Heartland templates. I did not use any type of interfacing, personally I feel that would add bulk... depending on the sizeof quilt you were making

I have never seen the templates you are going to use, but the templates that I had there really was not much problem at all with the curves. The pieces were small and curves were gentle. I am sure I will make a few more DWR going forward because the ones that I did went so well

good luck and have fun!
Old 02-23-2020, 07:57 AM

When I made mine, I used John Flynn’s templates which, I think, are similar. It was pretty easy doing the curves. Personally I don’t like the look of the interfacing along the edges. I made a pumpkin-seed type shape using lightweight interfacing, right sides together with the fabric, sewing along the edges, and turning right sides out. When I went to do the stitching along the edges, it wasn’t as clean and crisp like I wanted. But that’s just my opinion.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:24 AM

Thank you for all the great suggestions. Finishing up a project now then time to start on the DWR.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:08 AM

I have made 6 DWR quilts over the years ... seem like they are the most popular for newlyweds. The 6th one was for DH and I. I too use Quilting from the Heartland templates. They are great and I did not find I had any extra bulk doing the pieces as were laid out in the direction. I quilted all of these quilts by hand. I am sure you quilt will look wonderful. It is one of my favorite traditional patterns. Great scrappy quilt or good as themed colors too.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:46 PM

I have made one DWR and used Shar Jorgensen's templates. It went together quite well. I would feel that the interfacing would make it too bulky like everyone else said.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:36 PM

I would recommend you try it with similar weight fabric and see how it works for you.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:40 AM

I have made one using her templates. It was great. I have plans to make another one, one of these days. I love her pattern because the rings are perfect circles.