Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Deal or no deal >

Deal or no deal

Deal or no deal

Old 02-24-2020, 05:29 AM

If I was stash building I would buy those for sure if they looked like colors I would use.. I love making Scrappies and use fat quarters a lot. I have often thought that is all I should purchase. Personally I have a lot of fabric so I would pass unless I bought it for donation.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:32 AM

only if you are mad about totally scrappy quilts. I'd pass too. And consider it a visual life lesson about overbuying. Quilting isn't about the buying it is about the making.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:02 AM

I would never spend that much on something that I didn't love - so probably a no for me.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:10 AM

My first question would be do you like the colours? Then what is the quality - you would need to handle a number of them because she did not likely buy them all at the same place so they may vary greatly. I remember going to a yard sale when I first started quilting, I got excited when I saw all the fabric but by the time I had looked at the colours - a lot of old dusty rose, and the old floral patterns, I ended up buying only one piece with pinecones on it. Of course another option would be to buy it and keep what you like if there is enough of that and donate the rest. It is a good thing that you have time to think about this.
As Tartan says I also do the sniff test nowadays.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:36 AM

[

Well you could get a lot of stitching in with them.....lots of fat quarter patterns come to mind...like turning twenty...and if you have a fabric cutter you could run them through and make a lot of fun sizes of scraps like 2 1/2 inch strips, 5 inch squares, 2 1/2 inch squares and just have fun making quick quilts like scrappy nine patch, fence rail...etc.....I like to keep pieces for a "simple quilt" on hand just to have some simple piecing to do even when watching TV...yeppers...I do that put my travel machine up on the card table and stitch away while watching …..you could pull the good ones out for your better quilts and make donation quilts or quilts to be loved and abused like picnic quilts with the rest....just depends on what you want to do, the time you have and the space to store....
Old 02-24-2020, 06:53 AM

The fabrics are a little old. Probably about 9 years. They were well cared for and don’t smell musty. Every color and pattern imaginable. Some were purchased as bundles so are matching sweets. I am building a stash- have a very small one.

Last edited by patricej; 02-24-2020 at 08:14 AM. Reason: attempt to fix broken image link
Old 02-24-2020, 07:40 AM

If you want to work scrappy and you have the space to store them and the money is available, oh yeah, I'd dive right in. Then take take out my first 100 favorites and call all the others gravy. So, 1000 fat quarters would be 250 yards... That would be a good sized plastic tote or probably at least a box of my fabric (I really don't want to know how many yards my boxes contain). I estimate now that after having given away 50-75% of my stash that I still have close to 2-3k yards and that will fit in a large closet.

A couple of years ago I had an opportunity on Craig's List to buy 50 pounds of stash for $2/pound, most of it was early 80s but that means I have lots of fabrics to go with it even if they aren't the current "in" colors, they are quality fabric and lovely prints.

I have fabric in my stash that I bought in the 1980s, cared for well and the age isn't going to be a problem. For years I collected true vintage fabrics that were 36".

However, some stickers some chains use do become an issue. I recommend taking any of that off and if residue is left you have so much fabric I probably wouldn't even worry myself to clean them, just toss, or cut off portions with sticker on it. And folding around cardboard/just crisp folds can be damaging over time, but I'd say 10 years isn't enough to do anything a prewash won't take out.

Speaking of washing, there is no problem at all washing fat quarters by themselves in with your regular laundry. Could probably fit in 10-20 per load without stressing either you or the washer. Unfold and using similar colors, layer into your regular wash. Have a pair of scissors handy to cut any threads or snags that happen. Then, before throwing them into the dryer, hold by the corners and flap it until it makes a nice snap! sound. Toss into your dryer load and the goal is to get them out before they are fully dry... almost dry and then press flat for storage.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:19 AM
Administrator

i have a love-hate relationship with pre-cuts.
but i have friends who just love them.

if they are as you described, and you can get them without wrecking your budget, i'd say go for it.
as somebody else suggested, pull out your favorites and all the sets.
you can try to sell what's left or share it with your quilting friends.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:31 AM

I absolutely would buy them if I was just starting out! I love fat quarters, and use them all the time. I have a couple hundred at least. I have plenty of regular cuts also. I do a lot of applique, and FQ's are perfect for that. The fact that some are color bundled is a plus, and with so many, I would have no problem matching groups and colors. I also have a few quilting acquaintances that I could share with!
Old 02-24-2020, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mazo View Post
The fabrics are a little old. Probably about 9 years. They were well cared for and don’t smell musty. Every color and pattern imaginable. Some were purchased as bundles so are matching sweets. I am building a stash- have a very small one.

They sound like a great deal; I'd grab 'em if they are predominantly the style/genre of fabrics you think you will want to work with.

Last edited by joe'smom; 02-24-2020 at 09:04 AM. Reason: spelling