Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Throwbeds >

Throwbeds

Throwbeds

Old 02-29-2020, 06:31 AM

Default Throwbeds

I came across, "throwbeds," today in my search for living room design ideas. I have a long, old, leather couch that was originally my Mom's and it has some well worn cushions. That's probably due to my 3 big dogs that love to lounge on it. It's futile to try to keep them off of the couch. Besides, I love to cuddle with them in the evening.

I've looked into sewing up new, leather cushions (which I still might do,) but the cost for the leather is expensive. I think that, "throwbeds," might work instead. A throwbed is made of a linen, cotton, or light canvas shell with kapok filling. They are super soft and comfy and have a rustic look to them. People use them on beds, cots, take them outside for sleeping on the lawn, etc. They can be also be made to custom fit a couch seat. (They look kind of like dog beds anyway, so perfect for me.) I have a rustic cabin and I think it might look cool. Plus, I can make a quilted cover for it and then throw it in the wash every week to keep it clean.

Has anyone else ever tried to make something like this? Tips? Suggestions?

Here's a website that shows different kinds of throwbeds: https://www.remodelista.com/posts/be...beds-bedrolls/

~ C

Last edited by tropit; 02-29-2020 at 06:38 AM.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:54 AM

They sound similar to featherbeds of long ago only with a different stuffing. I use to love to lay on a featherbed and depending on the depth of the bed would take it from one room to another to lay down to read a book or just pet the dogs too. We didn't have a tv at my sister's house back in the day. She would get pretty mad when I would pull one off a bed and move it around too.
Your throwbeds sound like fun and may resolve the issue for your sofa, Just know they will be moved from one room to another a lot! It also give me a idea that would be fun for making one.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

It looks like they used ticking fabric which is sturdy. I think I might try to sew a long tube with sections sewn just big enough to put cheap pillows in kind of like the ones done for kids to lay on the floor. If you used Velcro or snaps to keep the pillows in the long case, the pillows could be removed to launder the case.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
It looks like they used ticking fabric which is sturdy. I think I might try to sew a long tube with sections sewn just big enough to put cheap pillows in kind of like the ones done for kids to lay on the floor. If you used Velcro or snaps to keep the pillows in the long case, the pillows could be removed to launder the case.
Cheap pillows might be a good idea. (I'm thinking Walmart, $3/each.) I love the feel of Kapok, but oh...working with the stuff is crazy. Can Kapok even be laundered?

~ C
Old 02-29-2020, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

If the leather lasted this long on your mother's sofa then new leather would last as long too. I think the value would be for new leather cushions.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:09 AM

I've made these for a window seat. I just purchased 4" thick foam from JoAnn's with a coupon of course. I just opened the fabric up, centered the foam in the middle of it, trim to size and fold it over like wrapping a present. I hand stitched it closed and them using a long craft needle I hand tied it. For the holidays I just "wrap" it with fabric, instead of hand stitching it closed I safety pin it, when Christmas is over I just unpin it and store the fabric for next year.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:34 AM

If, at some point, you decide you want to redo the sofa cushions with leather, consider good quality vinyl. One of our dogs intentionally and inadvertently ripped a couple of the leather cushions on our previous sofa. Took them to the upholsterer for repair. Was going to have them do leather, but as you said - quite cost prohibitive. They showed me some vinyl samples that were perfect. They fixed the cushions and you would never have known the difference. Color and texture were perfect and the cost was more than reasonable.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:10 AM

If I made pillow I would stuck them with scraps. Those can be washed and dried. My guild made these for pet beds for the shelter.