Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What are you doing? >

What are you doing?

What are you doing?

Old 04-04-2020, 02:19 AM

I've been making face masks. I know that they won't stop the virus but it gives them a little protection and most wear these over the real masks. I put in a layer of Pellon non fusible interfacing as a "filter": Here they are asking for them at the hospital, Dr. offices, EMS, Hospice and individuals. So far I've made 24 and have 49 cut out and ready to sew today.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:33 AM

Just made 5 masks for one of my sons family. Will have to check to see if the other 2 sons want some
Old 04-04-2020, 03:38 AM

You will love the 12ft. I have been able to have that size since day 1. Now, all I have to do is use it more. Have been working on Bonnie Hunter's Frolic and am gaining ground on it between mask making!
Old 04-04-2020, 08:14 PM

When I read the title of this post it wasn't in wasn't in your (I'm sure it must be) sweet voice, inquiring in a friendly way. I heard it in my mom's suspicious drill sergeant's bellow: "What are you doing???" That really should be in caps, because she'd be yelling for sure, lol.

Oh, I'm sewing masks. I made a bunch of ones that are 4 layers thick so they will filter better, but I have to breath really slowly or I feel like I'm running out of oxygen. That experiment may be a Fail!!, we'll see. Now I'm switching to the Kaiser pattern, because I'm a Kaiser member, so I figure I should give them to my doctors and all. I accidentally cut a batch at 7 inches instead of 8, so I'm going to make those into kids' masks and throw them into my friend's peds office from 6 feet away, lol. ("Here's some masks, Rich, enjoy!!") He and his wife are friends of mine from our Nuclear Weapons Freeze activism days. We always joked that "You can be my pediatrician when I have kids!" and then we'd laugh uproariously because I wasn't Ever going to have kids. Haha, he was sure surprised when I called to make sure they had room for one more about 26 years ago. I had to switch doctors because I changed insurance, and one of the kids in my son's class was the child of 2 doctors, a Pediatrician mom and a neurologist dad. Dr. Mom had a policy of letting any of the kids in the class get on her panel, so we got her, and she is just the greatest doctor ever. She's going to get the first batch of Kaiser masks, and she can spread them around as she sees fit.

Love to all, please stay home and stay safe as much as possible!
Old 04-05-2020, 03:06 AM

It just so happens that this week-end is my guild's retreat. Of course we aren't meeting but some of us are still taking advantage of this dedicated time to quilt. We have met four times on Zoom and just chatted and cut and pieced and did mini-show and tell of our projects. I have made two tops and have another that I trust I will finish by late this afternoon. I have a fourth quilt cut and ready to go for later next week. Quilting them will be down the road because I do not have a space to lay them out to sandwich them in my home. I usually do this at our guild work days where we have large tables. Some time early this summer I hope!

What do I do with the quilts? Well, two are baby quilts and the others are to be determined. Just using my stash and my time to create and will donate/gift as the Lord leads.

Old 04-05-2020, 09:39 AM

Watched on-line, Palm Sunday message.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:48 PM

Today I long armed a queen sized batik quilt I made from scraps over the last couple weeks.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:27 PM

No free time for me. Normal hours as usual. I'm happy I still have a job and I am able to make a difference, but kind of envious of those able to stay home and sew all day. Very appreciative to all of you sewing masks. They are desperately needed.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:34 PM

I like staying home myself but I have always loved crafting. I've been working on some baby quilts and baby rag quilts.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:55 AM

We are now making a lot of masks for senior citizen homes and other none medical facilities. Found directions to make stretchy t-shirt straps since elastic is difficult to get. Beyond that, since I have only been quilting for a few years, I am able to complete UFOs that were stalled due to lack of specific skills.