Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Blocks don't match on Pineapple quilt >

Blocks don't match on Pineapple quilt

Blocks don't match on Pineapple quilt

Old 06-17-2020, 08:26 AM

Default Blocks don't match on Pineapple quilt

I have made 30 blocks using the Creative Grid Pineapple ruler and all of the blocks were so carefully measured to 10 1/2" unfinished squares. I went to sew them together yesterday and the points do not match up. Has anyone made blocks with this ruler and found that they are off just a bit? Any comment or support ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking this will be a utility quilt. Loved making the blocks and was so excited to put them all together and was so disappointed when things didn't match.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:35 AM

Can you post a picture?
I hate to say it, but sometimes rulers can be off just a tiny bit, and it will end up causing quilters headaches. I never thought to look carefully at the markings and corners until one day, I was doodling with pen and paper and a quilting ruler. I was drawing radiating squares and after 8 or 9 rounds, realized that they were not all even. Took a closer look at the ruler and discovered that the very first 1/8" line was either printed wrong, or the ruler was out of square by what would be only 2 or 3 thread widths. But to a quilter, 2 or 3 thread widths can throw everything off eventually. Quality control either didn't notice, or didn't think it was enough to bother with. I took the ruler back to the store I'd purchased it from and looked at all the other rulers that were identical - every single one of them was off. Very disappointing.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:50 AM

I don't know how to post a picture. Will have to wait until by granddaughter comes by the house and she will help. Believe you me I would love to know how to post a picture as I have a lot of quilts I would like to share a picture of with everyone here.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

If they are only off a smidge, most of the pieces edges will be on the bias so you might be able to ease them into place as you sew them together?
Old 06-17-2020, 09:06 AM

I encountered the same issue with the block, and I used my Accuquilt to cut out each block, placed on appropriate grain line, all the fabrics were carefully starched, seams were pressed, and my seams were spot on. At the end of the day the blocks didn’t match and I was disappointed in the outcome. Personally, I think no matter what method you use, I think it’s the nature of the block and not so much the person making it. I will make it again, but I intend to make a totally scrappy one to blend the joining if the blocks. Perhaps a paper piecing is more accurate, but have not tried that method yet. I say be more forgiving of yourself as I really do think it’s the nature of the block!
Attached Thumbnails 58bc1008-f86c-40ef-8160-c6eed18a1274.jpeg  

Last edited by tallchick; 06-17-2020 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:16 AM
Power Poster

Looks great Lisa! That is a challenging block.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:43 AM

I have made a paper-pieced pineapple and for the most part, the points matched beautifully. That's the main reason I love paper-piecing, you get very accurate results. I think it helps that the 3 or 4 spots that don't match perfectly are hidden by the busy prints I used.
Attached Thumbnails wpid-pineapple2-2011-02-11-12-12.jpg  
Old 06-17-2020, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

Peckish your quilt is beautiful. Looks like PP is the way to go for that pattern, looks perfect.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:20 AM

I have made several Pineapple quilts using paper piecing and been happy with them. I'm now waiting on my order from It's Sew Emma for the 12" paper piecing to start a new quilt.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:32 AM

Tallchick-love your quilt and thank you for the encouraging words. I did the same as you as far as my seams sewn so carefully and starched my blocks and pressed so carefully too. When I put the first two blocks together and they didn't exactly match I just left the sewing room and hoped that things would look better the next day. I was wondering if maybe a 1" finished sashing put between each block would look ok? What do you think? Maybe this would take away from the pattern that the Pineapple block is supposed to look like. I guess if anyone rides by on a galloping horse the mismatching will not be seen. . What to do??!!!