Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Back to School supplies do you use for quilting? >

What Back to School supplies do you use for quilting?

What Back to School supplies do you use for quilting?

Old 08-09-2020, 08:46 AM

A binder and some of the sheet protectors to keep patterns organized.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:20 AM

I use both the Elmer's Washable Glue Stick and the Elmer's Washable School Glue in the little bottles. Since I learn Glue basting I have been in hog heaven! I will not go back to pin basting. I have had perfectly basted quilts every time.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

I buy Elmer's Washable School glue in the gallon jug at Walmart. I won't run out for many quilts later and it's cheaper then buying buy the bottle but those are inexpensive to begin with. I keep my glue sticks in a freezer zip lock in a plastic school box. I'm still using the ones I bought for .10 a tube years ago and they are still good. The older ones seem to be better glue then the tubes made now or it could be being in the cold temp for so long?
Old 08-09-2020, 10:49 AM

I am a retired Kindergarten teacher who loves Fiskars for Kids scissors.They are sharp enough to clip threads, including wool yarn With slightly rounded tips, they won't poke a hole in your quilts but sharp enough to clip threads closely.
I buy several when I see them in the Back to School displays. I tie a ribbon thru them and wear them around my neck.
(Speaking from experience in the classroom, they are sharp enough to cut hair!)
I also buy Crayola washable markers. I have never had a problem with their not washing out. I read that sometimes the yellow is difficult to remove, so I don't use that color.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:28 PM

Children's Fiskars scissors so I won't cut fabric accidentally when I'm cutting threads. Some have a rounded tip but I prefer the ones that are more pointed. I use them for cutting paper, too.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:19 PM

Like many others here, I love Elmer's School Glue and Crayola's Ultra-Clean Washable Markers.

~C
Old 08-09-2020, 03:21 PM
Power Poster

I buy and use a lot of the above items. I buy the clear boxes, when I can find them to hold spools of quilting thread.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:26 AM

Binder clips. Soooooooo many binder clips! I'm working on Glacier Star and had to go out and buy more to hold my stacks of cut pieces together.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:15 AM

I just heard another smart idea on Americanpatchwork and quilting radio podcast for storing specialty rulers.

Place your smaller specialty rulers in sheet protectors, along with the instructions on how to use them. Place them in a binder to keep them all in one place.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by copycat View Post
I just heard another smart idea on Americanpatchwork and quilting radio podcast for storing specialty rulers.

Place your smaller specialty rulers in sheet protectors, along with the instructions on how to use them. Place them in a binder to keep them all in one place.
Thanks. I love that idea! I just started collecting specialty rulers and was wondering yesterday how to organize them!