Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Pear Recipes please >

Pear Recipes please

Pear Recipes please

Old 09-21-2020, 06:18 AM

Default Pear Recipes please

I have about a couple of dozen pears that are going off soon and more pears on the way. Please post your favorite pear recipes. I need ideas. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

I'm not a huge pear fan, whether fresh or in a recipe.
But I do like stewed/preserved pears.

Sorry, no recipe, as I do not preserve them and just cook, cool and eat!
Water, lemon slices, honey and all or one of cloves, cinnamon, allspice (all whole).

From an old thread, I saved this recipe as a potential but have yet to try it.
... see post #25
What to serve with baked ham?

Last edited by QuiltE; 09-21-2020 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

You can use pears just like apples for pies.
Old 09-22-2020, 02:23 AM

How about Paradise Pear Jam? We love it and it makes a special gift during the holidays:

2 3/4 cups pears (about 2 lbs.)

1 small can crushed pineapple (8 1/2 oz)

1 orange

1 lemon

1/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries

1/2 cup finely chopped citron (I never add the citron)

5 cups sugar

1 box fruit pectin (powdered kind

Remove rinds from orange and lemon in quarters; discard half the white part on rinds. Slice rinds in slivers; chop orange and lemon coarsely, and discard seeds. Wash, peel and core pears, and grind (I dice the pears). Grind citron if using. Chop cherries coarsely. Combine all fruits including pineapple. Measure 4 1/2 cups of the mixture into a large pot. Measure sugar, set aside. Stir fruit pectin into fruit.

Sterilize 8 8-ounce jars and lids, wide mouth funnel and dipper.

Place fruit over high heat; stir until mixture comes to a hard boil. At once stir in sugar. Bring to a full rolling boil and boil hard for one minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; skim and stir for 5 minutes to cool slightly and prevent floating fruit. While skimming, remove jars and invert to drain. Fill jars . Place hot lids on jars and screw bands on tightly. Cool,l abel and store.
Old 09-26-2020, 02:58 PM

How about making Pear Caramel Cake. I follow this homestead blog & just love Mr. & Mrs. Brown! She posted this recipe today & said you can substitute pear in place of apples. It looks FANTASTIC!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLxdp8fS3vY

Old 09-26-2020, 03:10 PM

I just saw a Youtube yesterday where they took pears, cut in half lengthwise, hollowed out the core, put a Lindoor truffle in the center, flipped it over onto a rectangle of puff pastry, made a few shallow lengthwise cuts into the pear (to help it cook evenly I supposed), brushed the pastry with egg wash and baked till the pastry was done. Looked pretty good, I'd never thought of chocolate with pears.
Old 09-26-2020, 04:06 PM

My husband makes pear relish every year. I like to put it on my hot dogs. It also is good for dipping chicken nuggets or egg rolls if you like sweet and sour sauce. There are many recipes. This is close to the one he uses.
https://www.cooks.com/recipe/cb6zn9m...ow-relish.html
Old 09-27-2020, 10:57 AM

1 Pears poached in wine - delicious

2 Pears and chocolate - cake, flan, tart; pear and chocolate - always a great combo.

3 Similar to a French apple tart, but use pears instead; sweet pastry, pureed pear, some frangipane on top of puree, and thinly sliced pears fanned out to top, bake, and eat.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:12 AM

I like cinnamon with pears.
Old 09-29-2020, 04:18 AM

Don't have the recipes but my sister dehydrated her pears last year as she had so many and she said they tasted like candy. This year she made up some pear syrup and it was tasty too. Gave away a lot of her pears for her around my neighborhood and everyone said they were so sweet and juicy. Finally ate one myself and it was very good. Between the 2 of us we have pear and apple at her house, strawberries and raspberries at my house. Our neighbors love us as we share our bounty with them.

She made us a baked french toast for Sunday brunch using some of my raspberries in between the layers and her pear syrup over top of it all. Yummy!!!